What brand of dish was this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Was at an estate auction and saw this in the yard.

IMG_20130223_095649_749.jpg

IMG_20130223_095656_453.jpg

IMG_20130223_095644_951.jpg

Don't know the brand name. But, did it sell? Did you offer to give it a home?? Nice looking 8 ft(my estimate) I wouldn't mind having it.
There used to be a few with what looked similar to that reflector around here BITD. The mounting appears somewhat different from what I remember. Also seem to remember a rubber like channel on the edge covering the 'rough' perimeter. Think quite a few OEM's used a common reflector back then.
If it didn't sell, I'd be willing to offer to 'clean up' the yard of it. (IF I WERE CLOSER)

Have seen a few of those around over the years.
Always with different mounts & feed arms.
Most have been 8'.
Only once I thought maybe a 10' existed (probably not).

See if there is a seam down the middle where two perforated panels were welded together before fabrication.

I'm going out on a limb, and suggest it was a very nice dish-blank someone made 20+ years ago.
By some top dish company with serious metal fabrication equipment.
It was sold to a few little wanna-be high end dish companies.
They then outfitted it with three legs (mine) or four to hold the feed.
It was mated to all sorts of mounts.

Mine is a dull pewter gray and made of Aluminum.
Some have shown up in black.
They don't really seem to be spun so much as stamped in one piece.

I strongly suggest getting it! ;)
Of course I'm cheap, but I'd give $50.
$100 wouldn't be out of line.
IMO, it's one of top 5% most desirable dishes.

Last edited:
The dish itself sold with the house. I would of been interested in it, but I don't have the room for one anymore, we put a shed up and the pole had to go.

Also...I don't think the dish would of done Ku as the holes were rather big.

I bought a lot of electronics, and the stuff for it was in there. I pitched the receiver and the descrambler. The descram was a worthless Channel Master VC2 box, and the receiver was a mid 80s uniden and it was one of those funky ones setup for 70mhz and 1ghz.

I DID keep the postioner. I had to tinker with it, but I got it working. I'm hanging onto it in case I decide to get back into c-band

Did uniden ever make dish's? The actuator and receiver was uniden. I did not even know uniden made actuators until I saw this one.

As far as the dish, I was thinking about asking if I could have it to give to a member on here, but I was 35 miles from home, and didn't want to go back and make a special trip with the trailer.

This is because the dish was welded along the two parts.

I live in central illinois.

BITD, I think you could buy a Skyvision branded dish. Re-branding was quite common. (they didn't make them, but had their logo's branded on them along with a product ID tag) Sure Uniden did the same. Maybe changed some design detail.
70Mhz receiver, uh, makes me think the actuator PS may be for an actuator with a 10 turn 10k pot.(???)

..I don't think the dish would of done Ku as the holes were rather big.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]

In my signature, there's a link to a DH perf.
Look at the pictures and the ones Linuxman posted for his Birdview perf hole size.

The receiver had about 3-4 coax inputs, one was a "loop" for 70mhz. What would that be?

How did the setup work? I know the video feeds into the VC2. But did the video feed BACK into the receiver, or to the tv?

Also, what was the 70mhz used for specifically? The VC2 box...don't recall seeing a 70mhz.

Also, I could not get anything to appear on tv with the VC2 box, so I take that it was dead.

How did the setup work? I know the video feeds into the VC2. But did the video feed BACK into the receiver, or to the tv?

Also, what was the 70mhz used for specifically? The VC2 box...don't recall seeing a 70mhz.

Also, I could not get anything to appear on tv with the VC2 box, so I take that it was dead.

You need the external VC2 cage unit. I had an original 010 unit years ago that was hooked up this way. Video did feed back into the receiver. There's only one VC2 feed left, so it's worthless now. You got blacked-out video, and no audio without authorization. If I remember right, it won't even bring up the VC2 menu without a VC2 signal lock. Unless of course it has a Wizard or Phazer (or one of the many other) pirate chip installed, then you'd get the menu anyway.

We can't go any deeper into this, as it's against the forum rules. VC2 is worthless for even playing with anymore.

I'd toss the whole pile in the trash and forget about it.
When you drove off, ya left the best part behind.

Last edited:
You need the external VC2 cage unit. I had an original 010 unit years ago that was hooked up this way. Video did feed back into the receiver. There's only one VC2 feed left, so it's worthless now. You got blacked-out video, and no audio without authorization. If I remember right, it won't even bring up the VC2 menu without a VC2 signal lock. Unless of course it has a Wizard or Phazer (or one of the many other) pirate chip installed, then you'd get the menu anyway.

We can't go any deeper into this, as it's against the forum rules. VC2 is worthless for even playing with anymore.

1 left? Lol. When I got out of c-band there was I think 2. ESPN and TWC. When I was given my 1st dish, it had a Drake IRD, with a black VC2 module. They most of been into piracy, because the video was in the clear, but the audio was not. I took the VC2 module out and pitched it, didn't want the battery to puke and have it cause damage.

The neat thing about the VC II RS descrams, they had a a smart card slot in the back, in case security was ever compromised. Thing is, even though many people illegally hacked them, they never issued smart cards that I know of.

I read somewhere at one time, over 50 percent of the people with BUD's pirated the descramblers, it was a big thing back then.

Someone I talked that was knew a lot about those days said that General instrument basically allowed people to do it, so they would at least SEE what was offered, so when their little pirate setup got a
"hit" from the providers, they would break down and subscribe legally.

Taking a walk down memory lane, a lot old receivers I see have a port for "IPPV", which stood for impluse pay per view. Was there a separate modem you could buy for pay per view?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)