What can I do? Limited Options...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GTPBoy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I just moved into my new apartment and have a very limitied view of the sky. Its a nature preserve so I cant cut down any tree limbs that are in my way. I can see from about due east to about SSE. So Directv is out of the question. Supposedly Dish is a well. TimeWaner cable wants $120 a month for their digital cable, HD tier and HD DVR. Voom was the only real option because they were at 125 degrees which was the only area of the sky I could see. I am hoping that Dish will incorporate that satellite and broadcast from it so I can still get Sat service. I hate cable but might be forced. Any ideas or services that I am not considering.

Thanks,

Brendon

Sony 70XBR950
Yamaha V730
Yamaha NS-1738
Klipsch Surround
Adcom GFA-5500
Pinnacle Showcenter Wireless G
Sony DVP-NS975V

GTPBoy,

welcome to the forum. Very hard to say to tell you, go ahead and try it anyway. It is really up to you. Dish will not transmit all the channels that VOOM is currently transmitting from that location as they already have their own satellites in another location. The ultimate decision is yours... I can't really tell you at this point what you should do given all the information that we now know about VOOM and its uncertainty.

PQ Quality of Digital Cable?

If I am forced to use digital cable for my solution. What can I expect in terms of picture quality? SD and HD? I used Directv for years at a previous location and am fairly satisfied with Voom. The jump to a very large TV was dramatic in terms of SD picture quality and the only thing I find acceptable at that size is HD. I just hope that If I pay a fortune for cable that I wont be let down too much.

Thanks,

Brendon

Sony 70XBR950
Yamaha V730
Yamaha NS-1738
Klipsch Surround
Adcom GFA-5500
Pinnacle Showcenter Wireless G
Sony DVP-NS975V

GTPBoy said:
I just moved into my new apartment and have a very limitied view of the sky. Its a nature preserve so I cant cut down any tree limbs that are in my way. I can see from about due east to about SSE. So Directv is out of the question. Supposedly Dish is a well. TimeWaner cable wants $120 a month for their digital cable, HD tier and HD DVR. Voom was the only real option because they were at 125 degrees which was the only area of the sky I could see. I am hoping that Dish will incorporate that satellite and broadcast from it so I can still get Sat service. I hate cable but might be forced. Any ideas or services that I am not considering.

I'm in the same position.

Are Dish and DirecTV at the same direction?

I really don't want to go back to cable.

Sorry Jeff, looks like we are up the creek without a paddle :(

I was hoping that someone reading this thread has had TimeWarner Cable in Texas and could tell me how the picture quality was.

Thanks,

Brendon

GTPBoy said:
I was hoping that someone reading this thread has had TimeWarner Cable in Texas and could tell me how the picture quality was.
Well, technically this is a site for satellite tv, y'know. ;) You might have better luck if you check the Local threads over at www.avsforum.com. Good luck. :D

Robert over on VOOM/Yahoo has TimeWarner down in Texas and seems quite happy with the PQ and DVR although he does miss the amount of HD on VOOM and hoped to come back when they released their DVR.

Still watching HDTV under cloudy but rainless Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)