What can I do to use my DirecTV service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RobDiddy Banker

Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Someone sent me the link to this site today.... So I'm a newb here and I'm sorry to both you guys who are better with DirecTV with a new question.

This is my situation, I moved from one apartment to another. I have all of my DirecTV install stuff, the move was about 1 mile down the road to the east. My new apartment complex will not allow me to have DirecTV installed because they have a DishNetwork only policy. I have an apartment that faces the east, not the west. Is there any possible way... that I can...

1) Install my Dish inside of my apartment? it's on the ground floor of the building. I have a pole from my previous directv setup. I have all the equipment, it's the new slim line dish.

2) Is there any way to talk my apartment complex into allowing me to have directv?

I really need some sort of help here and this is the best place I felt to address this. I signed up in August when I broke my knee cap... I had no idea we would be moving so soon, the DirecTV is in my name but I live with my parents. My parents names are on the lease to the apartment. The guy I spoke to at DirecTV wanted to force me to pay a cancellation fee and then asked me if I had another house? if my family had a second home that I could install it at. I felt really insulted by this guy and his demeanor on the phone.

First of all the apartment complex can't prevent you from having whatever DBS service you want.
There are limitations as to where the dish can be installed.

However, you do need to have line of sight to the southwest if you live in the east or to the southeast if you're in the west.

Read through this document and then show it to your landlord.
FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Where are the Dishnetwork dishes installed? If there are any on the roof, then they will have to let you put a Directv dish there. Check the link that jdspencer posted. It has the facts on your situation. Like he said, they can't restrict you to Dish only.

I don't think that applies if there is a single 'community' dish serving the entire building. Only if there are tenant-owned dishes up there. However, if you have a balcony that faces south, they can not restrict you in any way from installing your own dish on your balcony.

I don't think that applies if there is a single 'community' dish serving the entire building. Only if there are tenant-owned dishes up there. However, if you have a balcony that faces south, they can not restrict you in any way from installing your own dish on your balcony.

Sure they can. If the dish extends beyond the balcony then it is over a common area. Also, they can restrict how the dish is attached to the building, if it is.

It for some reason wouldn't let me back in via facebook...

but anyways,

I don't have a balcony or patio... I could however simply mount the dish on the ground and use the wire connectors that pass through the window in an attempt to not drill any holes.

I also emailed the V.P. of directv about the issue and anything they can do to help.

Also there are 2 or 3 dishes on the roof for dish, Idk if they are for whoever joins in or if they are in fact for people already having dish. For what I know, Dish boxes allow for using an hdtv and a regular tv without having 2 boxes, which is whack imo.

If you have no baclony or patio, you have no option. I am sure that the appartment rules will only allow you to place the dish on exclusive use area.

If you have no baclony or patio, you have no option. I am sure that the appartment rules will only allow you to place the dish on exclusive use area.

Probably true, but if they are allowing other dishes there then it could be interesting if he pushed the matter to allow a Directv dish on the roof.

So i printed off the FCC ruling that DirecTV told me to use, I took it up there and gave it to the office. They faxed it to their main office, what did I get? i was told... you can use your DirecTv dish inside your apartment but you can not use a tripod or any other method to install it on the ground.

Do you have a window that will give you line of sight?

Do you have an exclusive use area outside that would work?

Your original post was quite pessimistic, so my suggestion would to suspend your account until you can move to a more suitable location. :)

Again, if the dishes on the roof are owned by the landlord, and they feed the entire building (either with outlets in each unit, or special permission for Dish installers to run cables up to the dish), then you're stuck. But if those dishes are owned by TENANTS, then they can not bar YOU from putting a DirecTV dish up there and tell you that you can only use Dish..

I think your best shot is to ask for a copy of the Dishnetwork only policy. If they really have one, then they are breaking the law.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)