What can I do with a 12' Paraclipse on my roof?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reptiles

Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Greetings,

I remember helping my Father install this monster decades ago on the roof of the house. He built an immense iron structure in the attic to support a single stainless pipe that exited the peak of the roof.

As far as I recall it was a dual band 12' Paraclipse with button hook feed (with 3 stainless steel cables holding it centered) and a horizon to horizon, belt drive mount.

The inside electronics are long gone.

Anyway, he died years ago, and Mom just moved off to a retirement community... so I'm back in the house as the new owner.

I figure it would be interesting to get it working again; and cheaper than having it removed.

What can one do with a BUD (acquired that most endearing term from reading this forum) that a simple DirectTV type dish can't do?

Ham radio stuff is also a possibility, as I'm a technician class license holder (3 years) but only operate voice on 2meters, 220 and 440Mhz... never thought of moon bounce, Amsat, etc.

So I'm starting my quest to try to try to figure this out. I have no documentation on the Paraclipse, and I suspect the drive belt (at least, needs replacement -It looks like the timing belt from a Japanese car... ?) Dish and mesh actually looks pretty good --no visible damage, only the steel box mounted under the dish is rusty.)

I would welcome any thoughts or advice at this juncture.

Cheers,

Mark

You might find brother Stogie's saga of bringing home a 12' Paraclipse, and installing it, pretty interesting.
Most any of the threads in the BUD department will get you some basic info on big dishes.
There are other threads where newbies have pretty much asked the same question.
However, we're always happy to indoctrinate a new person, so once you have a question, go right ahead and ask.

Oh, and do post some pictures.
It'll get you better answers.

Paraclipse Website Still Up!

Many thanks for the link to the other thread. I found it useful.

Also, the Paraclipse website archive is also a great resource. Available at (sorry forum won't let me post url till I post 15 other posts first.)

The earlier versions without the references to bug zappers, at least!

There are illustrations, specs, technical bulletins, etc. still there.

I'll be back with some photos soon.

Cheers, Mark

LOL other making most forum users drool, you can get all the FTA channels your heart desires with a dish of that size. Get yourself a good basic blindscan box, a Vbox positioner and a HD box and your in business!

sweet....

but as noted since the analog box is gone, that controlled the motor on the dish to move it. They make boxes that can connect to an existing FTA system and control it. Its called a GBox (I think they're up to GBox V now)....that will control the dish and allow you to move it

you would also need a new FTA box to scan the channels in. Unless you want to change out the LNB up there make sure to get one with a polorotor. This allows you to switch the LNB between one polarity and another. The older LNB's were mechanically controlled with 3 wires. The new ones are voltage controlled and dont need any external wires other than the coax cable

by chance do you know what satellite it might be aimed at? I guess depending on your location and what way the dish is aimed we might be able to figure it out :

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tv7496

58.0°W Intelsat 9 C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts