What can I do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

En66

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
After being a loyal Comcast costumer for more than 10 years, we decided to switch to DirecTV. Reason we switched was that we moved, and Comcast did not have the channels that we wanted, or the HD service on some channels.
I had not heard anything bad about DirecTV, so I thought it can't be that bad.
After I got the install done, the receiver was lagging bad when trying to change channels, and it usually took 3-4 seconds before anything happened. Then when using the Guide button, it could take as much as 15 seconds before anything came up on the TV.
After the receiver started to freeze that same evening, and we had to reset it every time we changed channels, I called customer service, and the female on the other end told me it was normal reason be it was a HD DVR. I promptly explained to her that it was unheard of and she was kind enough to transfer my call to tech support and they sent us a replacement, which arrived 6 days later.
The new receiver has been working fine, but the picture tend to freeze when it rains, and then it fades to black and the "searching for satellite" shows up.
Is it normal to loose picture when it rains? I can understand if it storms, but a quick hard shower?
Is there anything I can do except holding an umbrella over the dish when it rains to prevent this from happening, or is this something I have to live with because it's a dish? It's very frustrating when you're watching something and the picture disappears, or so the wife says.
I am so fed up with this, I would get rid of it if I could, but I'm stuck with it for 2 years.
Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

After being a loyal Comcast costumer for more than 10 years, we decided to switch to DirecTV. Reason we switched was that we moved, and Comcast did not have the channels that we wanted, or the HD service on some channels.
I had not heard anything bad about DirecTV, so I thought it can't be that bad.
After I got the install done, the receiver was lagging bad when trying to change channels, and it usually took 3-4 seconds before anything happened. Then when using the Guide button, it could take as much as 15 seconds before anything came up on the TV.
After the receiver started to freeze that same evening, and we had to reset it every time we changed channels, I called customer service, and the female on the other end told me it was normal reason be it was a HD DVR. I promptly explained to her that it was unheard of and she was kind enough to transfer my call to tech support and they sent us a replacement, which arrived 6 days later.
The new receiver has been working fine, but the picture tend to freeze when it rains, and then it fades to black and the "searching for satellite" shows up.
Is it normal to loose picture when it rains? I can understand if it storms, but a quick hard shower?
Is there anything I can do except holding an umbrella over the dish when it rains to prevent this from happening, or is this something I have to live with because it's a dish? It's very frustrating when you're watching something and the picture disappears, or so the wife says.
I am so fed up with this, I would get rid of it if I could, but I'm stuck with it for 2 years.
Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Rain fade is something that happens, but not with every rain storm. Can you give us your signal strengths? Sounds like your dish need to be peaked.

Like the previous poster said, rain fade is a part of it, but properly peaked it should be minimal. I only lose service in the absolute worst of storms.

Heavy cloud cover can cause issues also. As far as "searching for signal" goes, it's usually the HD channel first and then the SD goes, but in my experience I have hardly ever lost both.....but I will loose HD during a really heavy rain.

I was bitching awhile back about the slowness of the HD-DVR also......channel changing taking 3 seconds or so and guide sometimes taking longer than that to pop up, BUT I only noticed that on the HD DVR, not my HD box or the SD boxes.

Last as far as picture freezing goes, do you by chance have your coax running through a surge protector then to your DVR? I know for a fact that can cause and issue becuse it happened to me.

Also post your signal readings and a lot of these guys and gals here can help.

I do not have the coax running through a surge protector. I was thinking about doing just that, but I got a UPS instead, reason be the lights seems to flicker a lot here.

Signal strength:

1-8 96 93 95 68 93 99 91 99
9-16 89 95 91 95 90 100 90 100
17-24 90 79 92 95 94 100 94 100
25-32 94 60 86 100 91 100 89 100

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Let me try this again with the signal strength.

99:

1-8 95 95 88 89 94 95 88 89
9-16 92 95 88 90 95 95

101:

1-8 96 93 95 68 93 99 91 99
9-16 89 95 91 95 90 100 90 100
17-24 90 79 92 95 94 100 94 100
25-32 94 60 86 100 91 100 89 100

103ca:

9-16 93 92 91 92 90 90 86 92
17-24 88 92 86 91 85 91 86 91

103cb:

1-8 96 92 92 86 95 89 89 87
9-16 95 88 90 88 94 90

Sounds like you are fed up and done with Directv and their equipment. So if you aren't ready to pay the ETF then some options you might have are:

1. Request them to replace your box.
2. Buy an HR-24.

As far as rain fade goes, that's life with satellite, sounds like the wife is more annoyed by this, like mine.

On thing that can help is to turn on your SD channels, as the HD channels, like said before, are more affected by the rain.

You have pretty good signals. From what I can see. I would call requesting a service call and basically demand a new receiver. Should not be going out that much.

Holding an umbrella over the dish won't do anything. Don't buy one of those "joke" dish covers.​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)