What Can I Do????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

maximus73

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
San Jose,CA
Here is the setup:

I have a rack system that contains three receivers. One DVR, one HD-DVR, and one plain receiver. The HD unit was recently added after my next door neighbor was about to install a HD (3LNB) dish. The installer of the dish suggested that since we are in a condo unit we get rid of my standard single LNB dish and both work off the same 3LNB dish for cosmetic reasons since both dishes would have to be installed on top of each other. My neighbor is taking two leads from the dish and I am taking two leads from the dish. My two leads feed into a 3x4 multi-switch with two outputs going to my rack system and two outputs going straight to my bedroom DVR. At my rack system I have another 3x4 multiswitch to feed all the recievers at the rack. Everything runs fine except for HD DVR. It can't get information from Satellite B or C. There is strong signal on A,B,& C but it can not download the information. Therefore and henceforth $1000 HD DVR is pretty much worthless..... WHAT CAN I DO???

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

The reason that the current setup is not working is because you cannot take 2 lines off the LNB's built in multiswitch and connect it to another multiswitch. The only way for this to work is to get a 5X8 multiswitch, connect the 4 lines from the LNB's built in multiswitch to the 4 inputs to the 5X8 (the 5th is for OTA antenna), and run your two lines you need from the 8 available and your neighbor doing the same.

so if i put all 4 from the LNB's into a 5x8 I can take two lines to the multiswitch in my rack system and be okay?

No problem! Glad to help!!

Let us know how it goes once you install that new multiswitch.

You won't be able to use the multiswitch in your rack system, but what you can do is take 2 lines from the 5X8 to your living room, and 2 to your bedroom and be fine. Eliminate that multiswitch at your rack though!

Well, maybe this isn't going to work. I have to split the signal at the rack. My entire house is run to the rack. The rack provides the audio/video sources for the entire house. I only have the two cables from the outside into the rack. Hmmmmmm............

I was intrigued bythe statement (earlier) that "get a 5X8 multiswitch, connect the 4 lines from the LNB's built in multiswitch to the 4 inputs to the 5X8 (the 5th is for OTA antenna)". I have a three LNB setup with a 4X4 multiswitch. Can I rig this up to include my OTA antenna?

maximus,
You will have to run all 4 lines into your home.If you try to use another multi switch before you go into your HD receivers you will only receive sat 101.

rcayers,
You can simply use a diplexer if you want to feed OTA to only one tv set.But if you are trying to feed all 4 tvs it would be better and easier to get a new multi switch.Dont forget you will need a diplexer at every tv to seperate the signal.

Here's The Answer

You Have To Run The 2 Hd Tivo Lines Directly From The Dish To The Hd Tivo Receiver - Or You Have To Run Those 2 Lines Through An Hd Multiswitch (which Of Course Is More Moola) - I Install This Stuff All The Time. You Can't Run The Lines Through A Standard Multiswitch If It Is Going To An Hd Box.

The Easiest Way Is To Buy A 3x8 Or A 5x8 High Def Multiswitch And You Would Be Able To Feed Your Ota Antenna And All Receivers With Either Hd Or Sd Signal.

ancalagonlt81 said:
You Have To Run The 2 Hd Tivo Lines Directly From The Dish To The Hd Tivo Receiver - Or You Have To Run Those 2 Lines Through An Hd Multiswitch (which Of Course Is More Moola) - I Install This Stuff All The Time. You Can't Run The Lines Through A Standard Multiswitch If It Is Going To An Hd Box.

Not true. I have a normal 4X8 multiswitch and it works with my HD receiver just fine.

Sometimes It Will Work With Certain Brands Of Sd Multiswitches But The Vast Majority Don't, And I Guarantee His Problem Is The Sd Multiswitch.

First off there is no such thing as an SD and HD multiswitch. Multiswitches work by combining different frequencies from the LNBs so that one cable can carry all the signals. It doesn't matter if it's HD or SD that he's wanting to watch. The multiswitch doesn't know the difference.

Any competent satellite tech will tell you that. A less expensive multiswitch does just as fine as a more expensive one.

A SD signal and HD signal are the same coming from the satellite they are just MPEG 2 streams.

There is no such thing as a HD Switch. :)

You Need And Hd Multiswitch For Hd Boxes The Vast Majority Of The Time For Directv - It's Not Quite The Same With Dish And Especially Voom

Ugh, there is no such thing as an HD multiswitch!!!!

I have a standard 4X8 that the installer that installed our 2nd DTivo had put in place, and it works perfectly fine with my HD receiver. It's a no name normal multiswitch. I get my HD channels just fine.

If you're a satellite installer then you need to read up on multiswitches.

I Don't Have To Read Up On Anything - I've Installed Thousands Of Systems And I Have Many Friends And Co Workers Who've Installed Thousands Of Systems - In The Field 90% Of The Time With Directv You Need An Hd Multiswitch To Support Multiple Receivers When 1 Or More Is An Hd Box - Believe Me I Have Tried The Sd Multiswitches Many Times And It Doesn't Work.

maybe he is refering to a "HD multiswitch" as being on that is compatible with all three satellites, such as one that recieves all four input from a triple lnb dish (phase III) or all three from an older style.

when he refers to a "SD multiswitch" it is one that only takes inputs from a dual single sat location or a single 18" round dish

it makes sense because if you dont have a dish that supports HD sat locations then your multiswitch is probably an older one that doesn't support the HD sat locations, not that it can't support MPEG-2 HD feeds

sorry if im wrong, but its just a word he is using for distinguishing between multiswitches.... switches are very confusing ( i try to stay out of discussing them) but maybe there should be a post that is very general about the different types of switches how they work together and each ones requirments.

To make this topic even more confusing, soon there will be a whole new family of multiswitches with the change to new sat locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts