What can I expect from dish HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Well dish wont lease me two 622's, and none of the other carriers around here are worth a crap, so I guess im just gonna go ahead and get one 622 and dish hd package..

How's the PQ?

How do I get national geographic HD?

Well dish wont lease me two 622's, and none of the other carriers around here are worth a crap, so I guess im just gonna go ahead and get one 622 and dish hd package..

How's the PQ?

National Geographic HD
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
DISH Network -- Channels

You can buy a 2nd vip622 for $450. Some with good standing with DISH have gotten 2 leased vip622's by requesting at ceo@echostar.com

How many HD sets do you have now, and how many are you likely to be watching at the same time? One 622 can feed two HDTVs easily at the same time, one via the HDMI connection and one via the component/audio connections. But both would be watching the same "TV1" program.

E*'s overall PQ on the voom and most "national" channels is "soft" (HD-Lite), and comparable to D*. In some cases what you can receive from cable is superior. That seems to vary by market. PQ from E*'s latest generation MPEG-4 encoders can technically improve considerably. There will be plenty of bandwidth for that improvement, but the real question is whether the market will demand more "HD" channels or better PQ for those that already exist, and how E* (and D* for that matter) will respond to that demand. Unfortunately the former will most likely win.

The 622 also has a fairly decent OTA tuner, and that can provide the best HD quality available in broadcast TV depending on the quality of the signal that your local network channels are sending OTA. Here again there is some variability, but in general most folks report OTA PQ that ranks at the top.

I disagree with the previous post on PQ being "soft". Ive had D* and Comcast in the last 14 mo's and E*'s PQ is better than D* especially on NatGeoHD, and on par with Comcast.

Charlie stated last night that they send us what they get and I do not think they would lie, Comcast also claims the same thing.

Seeing that I have had a Moto box, SA box, HR20 and 622. I can say that the 622 is one of the best. It does not have TWO OTA tuners like the HR20 but it can record 3 programs at once if you are connected OTA. I record all my local programming via the OTA tuner in HD and did not have any tuner issues during Mar, Apr and May. Id have to say its damn good at recoring OTA.

Like others have said, you can buy the 2nd 622 or email the ceo address and try and get another lease.

I disagree with the previous post on PQ being "soft". Ive had D* and Comcast in the last 14 mo's and E*'s PQ is better than D* especially on NatGeoHD, and on par with Comcast.

Charlie stated last night that they send us what they get and I do not think they would lie, Comcast also claims the same thing.

You are not comparing apples to apples either. I just left D* and yes they have a preview of NGEOHD but it is still in Mpeg2 and is bit starved.

Now it's all fine and dandy if they send us full res from what they receive but it's the bits that count. You can send full 1080i resolution all day but if you send it at 12Mbps compared to the 19.8Mpbs Mpeg2 it will look like crap, and if you are talking Mpeg4 then just change the numbers to 6Mbps and 10Mbps.
We all know D* does this and to an extent so does E*.

There is a big reason why your picture looks better from an OTA that doesn't multicast compared to D* or E* and that is because they send all the bits they are legally allowed.

You are not comparing apples to apples either. I just left D* and yes they have a preview of NGEOHD but it is still in Mpeg2 and is bit starved.

Now it's all fine and dandy if they send us full res from what they receive but it's the bits that count. You can send full 1080i resolution all day but if you send it at 12Mbps compared to the 19.8Mpbs Mpeg2 it will look like crap, and if you are talking Mpeg4 then just change the numbers to 6Mbps and 10Mbps.
We all know D* does this and to an extent so does E*.

There is a big reason why your picture looks better from an OTA that doesn't multicast compared to D* or E* and that is because they send all the bits they are legally allowed.

Even OTA can get bit starved when a station gets carried away with sub channels. You know E* is doing it as well.

How's the PQ?

Two questions:

- What HD TV do you have (and how many of them) ?

- Were you a Dish subscriber before ?

PS IMHO, the HD channels on Dish that are not on other providers, are actually better - in terms of content - than the HD channels that are on all the providers. A good example is "Rave-HD" which is not only in HD, it is also the only TV channel of live music concerts.

And to everyone else - why do all the newbies ask about "National Geographic HD" ??

The most popular show on NG is "The Dog Whisperer" which is not in HD.

About every six months, NG has a big special, like the Ben Franklin bio, but I don't know of any other big daily or weekly show.

Am I missing something?

And to everyone else - why do all the newbies ask about "National Geographic HD" ??

About every six months, NG has a big special, like the Ben Franklin bio, but I don't know of any other big daily or weekly show.

Am I missing something?
"Dog Whisperer" is often in HD. NG Explorer is on all the time in HD. "Ultimate Factories" is in HD. I find most of the prime time lineup is in HD.

Am I missing something?

I record explorer, critical situations, carnivore and some other random shows. Prob record 7-8 shows per week(more then DiscHD)

I, for one, would get HD through DIsh, but me being an existing customer, I get screwed as far as prices and fees go..

I, for one, would get HD through DIsh, but me being an existing customer, I get screwed as far as prices and fees go..
Why do you say that?
I just signed for HD as an existing customer, and like everyone, I received:
- 622 HD-DVR with 2 sat tuners, 1 OTA tuner, and 2 outputs for $149
- $50 rebate
- $10 per month rebate for 10 months for getting Dish-HD

DVR Advantage gives you further discounts.

Why do you say that?
- $50 rebate

Will dish install an OTA tuner for free or no?

I have a 50" 1080p samsung DLP that the HD-DVR will be going on.. I also have a 42" 720p toshiba rezga LCD in my bedroom, but no HD on that one, as the wife wants to keep DVR functionality for our existing 522, but doesn't want to spend $500 on another damn HD-DVR (which I concur with)...

Am I missing something?

NG has a big fan base, people like the magazine and the channel tends to follow suit with the same quality of reporting plus the video quality is on par with Discovery theater so that puts them both at the top of the heap. Dont forget the kid factor in the equation either, as a kid I looked forward to NG every friday night when it was on free tv, my whole family and extended family when we were staying with them all would sit and watch from start to finish.

Why do you say that?
- $50 rebate

Are you %100 sure that you are getting that $10 monthly rebate? thats a new customer incentive and I have talked with four csrs and all of them have refused me that incentive and I left in perfect standing with dish.

All customers who have never subscribed to a Dish HD package get a $10 per month for 10 months rebate when they add Dish-HD.

It is not done through CSRs - you have to go to dishnetwork.com and find the rebate form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts