What can I get with these receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IRNOTSLOW

Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Hi guys, this is an excellent site!! A few newbie questions here. let me start of with what i have:

Receviers:
2 dish 301 receivers with cards
1 uniden sq560 with a pink module
1 fujisti general fsr 4700.
Dishes
3 Single LNB, dual cable, D*TV
1 10 foot wire mesh dish C-band LNB
1 7 foot "" "" ""

My lat long are 78w 35n (28312 ZIP)

I currenttly sub to D*tv with 2 RCA DRD receivers with a tripple LNB dish ( external swtch)

With that said here are my questions;

1.) what FTA's can i get with this stuff?

2) Can I strap a d* tv LNB on the big dishes to prevent rain fade durring HEAVY storms like the cable guys does down the road on their Sat Farm?

3.) where do I get assistance in setting up my big dishes?

Thanks in advance for you comments

IRNOTSLOW a.k.a. Frank :confused:

Hello and welcome to the SatelliteGuys.us forum!
First off the DirecTV receivers are useless for FTA, the dish may be used see the below link to for what you can get with an 18" dish, not a lot.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

The rest of the guys will fill you in with what you can get with the C-band system, but IMO a DVB receiver is really needed for this hobby to get the most out of all your equipment, and you have found the right place to get help to set it all up!

thanks Peter, I have a legal subscribtion to d tv I was asking about the Dish network 300's? I guess they are in the like "what can I get on an 18?" Now on to the bigger dishes, what can you advise about them?

The Dish 300's are also useless for legal FTA reception, I will let the others chip in about C-band.

IRNOTSLOW said:
Hi guys, this is an excellent site!! A few newbie questions here. let me start of with what i have:

Receviers:
Dishes
1 7 foot "" "" ""

I currenttly sub to D*tv with 2 RCA DRD receivers with a tripple LNB dish ( external swtch)

2) Can I strap a d* tv LNB on the big dishes to prevent rain fade durring HEAVY storms like the cable guys does down the road on their Sat Farm?

Go here for info on setting up a big dish
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor469886

Another good site for big dish users is http://www.satforums.com/
You can still find quite a bit of analog FTA but I would get a C/KU feedhorn
for the ten foot dish and a KU LNB, the seven foot dish might work ok for KU
but it is really too small for C-band with sat spacing at 2 degrees you can interference from adjacent satellites.

IRNOTSLOW said:

Receviers:
Dishes
1 7 foot "" "" ""

The Dish 301's are useless for FTA. If they work, I'd sell them
The Uniden will work for C-Band or KU band. The pink module is the VideoCipher II board, which would allow you to subscribe to C-Band programming
The Fujitsu would be the same.
yep. I have 2 DBS LNB's strapped to a DirecPC dish for ExpressVu (see the thread "5 LNB's on one dish")

I would try satforums

IRNOTSLOW said:

Receviers:
Dishes
1 7 foot "" "" ""

Pop up the 10' and keep the pink board sell all the other stuff buy a 4dtv and a dvb box and you will have a good system, add a c/ku feedhorn with lnbs and you will have a great system :) right now www.skyvision.com has them for a super price and NPS I think still has them on sale. www.rpssat.com has much better lnbs and stuff than most other places. Hope you make the right choice :)

thanks for all the info. Ihave just a few more questons...Since I live in fayetteville, NC it is recommend to use the 10' and not the 7'? will I need the pink board in the 4dtv box?

IRNOTSLOW said:
thanks for all the info. Ihave just a few more questons...Since I live in fayetteville, NC it is recommend to use the 10' and not the 7'? will I need the pink board in the 4dtv box?

Yes the 4dtv by itself will be the digital clear and sub unit and analog clear but you need the pink board to sub to the analog channels that are not in the clear. Well BET is always clear but you will need a board to get it.

IRNOTSLOW said:

Yes use the 10' dish and not the 7' for C-band, the satellites are spaced
too close together for a 7' dish to work well anymore you will have problems
with interference from adjacent satellites on the 7' dish. A perfectly tuned 7' dish will still work for some signals but the 10' will work much better and if aimed properly will not suffer from interference from other satellites.

c-band or ku band

the LNB's on both my dishes have an input freq of 3.7-4.2 is the ku or C?

I have heard somthing about the diameter of the hole inthe mesh. If too large then KU would pass thru and not in to the feed horn. How can I tell of my dish can be used with ku?

as always thanks you

frank

IRNOTSLOW said:
the LNB's on both my dishes have an input freq of 3.7-4.2 is the ku or C?
C-band
I have heard somthing about the diameter of the hole inthe mesh. If too large then KU would pass thru and not in to the feed horn. How can I tell of my dish can be used with ku?

as always thanks you

frank
if a pencil can go through it, its too big :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)