What causes a local channels signal loss?

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
What causes this?

IMG_2978.JPGIMG_2977.JPGIMG_2976.JPG

I'm actually having the same problem right now. It's been raining today but the signal hasn't gone out until now. I ran a check switch to make sure all sats were still being picked up and they were. Only thing though is that the receiver did a complete reset and it's redownloading the program guide info. After that's done, I'll check to see if the signal is still out.

Edit Just checked and signal is working fine on my local ABC station.

It's been cloudy, but it didn't rain today... What causes just your local channels to go out, but everything else works fine? The local channels were also the only ones with 0 signal. They came on just now, but I"m still curious.

We had an issue with two of our Uplink centers and lost a lot of local programming but the engineers were able to get it resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Are those Uplinks in Nebraska, or somewhere else?
Your local channel uplink isn't from NE, I think it is either the AZ or WA state uplink locations. I worked at a station in Midland TX and when our signal went down had to call AZ. I had it as a speed dial number on cell phone. I also would have to call if we were going to turn down the transmitter for maintenance or other reasons as well.

Do you mean when you get the slate on the screen that says your local channels are having difficulties, or when your receiver says you have lost signal? If you're getting the slate (meaning you're getting a video signal from the satellite) that just means that for some reason, Dish isn't broadcasting that channel. It's been happening here lately because we've had some severe weather (Alabama) which I assume either blocks the uplink from the locals to Dish's main uplink or knocks the power out at the local POP. In many cities they use satellite backhauls to get the signal from the stations to DISH. Or, as maryb stated, it could be a completely non-weather related outage due to equipment failure, etc.

Do you mean when you get the slate on the screen that says your local channels are having difficulties, or when your receiver says you have lost signal? If you're getting the slate (meaning you're getting a video signal from the satellite) that just means that for some reason, Dish isn't broadcasting that channel. It's been happening here lately because we've had some severe weather (Alabama) which I assume either blocks the uplink from the locals to Dish's main uplink or knocks the power out at the local POP. In many cities they use satellite backhauls to get the signal from the stations to DISH. Or, as maryb stated, it could be a completely non-weather related outage due to equipment failure, etc.
Signal issues can be caused by a variety of issues, of which weather and dish alignment are two of the most common causes. Since the OP reported the issue was resolved right after receiving notification that our engineers had resolved the local issue, I was reasonably sure that that was what had caused his issue. Any signal issue other than weather related should be reported to Dish Network especially if the problem is reoccurring.

also, the signal lost might be an ota channel that's on the 2nd TV. my 722k does this all the time. i have a number of 3 and 4 at a time recordings going on and this occationally leaves the 2nd TV set to OTA. if the signal drops out on the OTA channel you will see the signal lost screen.

to fix it: just press the 'swap' button on the remote and tune to a non-ota channel. then hit swap again to go back to your original program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)