What causes this switch problem?

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
I am trying to get my 4900 to run a check switch. I got the DP adapter hook-up to it. This thing has worked fine for about 4 weeks with no problems. The receiver got unplugged and I plugged it back in and the problems started with the switch. Just a note is that the receiver in the living room works fine. It is a 501 and it is plugged into the #1 slot on the switch. I have tried all the other slots for the 4900 and they all do the same thing. Here is what I get when t he check switch is finished:

1a 119 ODD
1b X X
2a 110 ODD
2b 110 EVEN
3a X X
3b 121 EVEN

It seems that 119 EVEN and 121 ODD will not come in at all. The 121 ODD not coming in doesn't hurt me on my locals. I can still get them on the EVEN side, but 119 EVEN is the one that a lot of channels won't come in. I have unplugged and plugged everything that I can on this receiver. I have installed dish network part time for the past 3-4 years and have never had a problem like this. Maybe my 4900 is starting to go away on me. Anyone have any suggestions that I might have over looked?

it doesnt sound like a cabling issue.... however.. have you tried unhooking everything from the switch including the inputs. Then hooking the reciever up and running a check switch... it wont hit anything... but after this hook everything up and run the check again. It sounds like the port that your reciever on isnt hitting correctly in the switch. This is just an idea to throw out.. but Im sure someone else here could offer more help.

Yeah - we're starting to hear more stories about switches locking up.

Disconnect power from ALL receivers (coax disconnect not needed - at least for the first try at fixing this ;)). This ensures the switch and LNBFs return to their reset state. It might be enough. If not, add Shadow's idea to this one and do it again.

Finally, full switch matrix resets might be needed - dosconnect receiver from sat feed. Check Switch. Pull power. Check Switch AGAIN. Reconnect. Check Switch to get online.

I got me a new 510 coming to replace the 4900. Been wanting to get one anyway. I'll keep trying to figure this out. I tried the full switch matrix reset and that didn't help any. I can't unhook everything right now, the wife is watching her shows in the living room. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Pull the coax off, run the switch check to clear the old matrix out, then pull the smart card out and then unplug the recievers electrical cord, wait 3 mins and then plug back in and then insert smart card, rerun the switch check with the coax in place, if this doesnt work then your reciever got zapped when it was unplugged most likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts