Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
What dealers are left that are actually selling Cband dish's. I have been talking with Mike via email at Skyvision, and they are all out of 10 footers, and only have a few 12 footers in stock. While priced at two grand, that's beyond my comfort zone! Cband dish's around my parts are becoming very hard to find and short of going commercial which is even more expensive, Who's left dealing 10 - 14 foot dish's? Come springtime I'm going to put a local ad in the paper so see if anyone bites on wanting to get rid of their dish, but other than that buying a brand new dish seems like a nearly impossible task now.

Also, According to Mike, the last factory that made the dish's here in the US are no longer making them as of last May. Today I made sure to get my order in for a two Norsat 8515's from epay for about 100 bucks and I ordered a Chaparral 11-1329-1 Dual C-Band Feed Horn from Rick's site (the price was too good to pass up!) so we will see how that helps out my 7 1/2 footer that I want to desperately upgrade to a 10 footer min but a 12 footer would be optimal!

I'm going to feed both of the LNB's with a pico macom true spec power insurter wich will feed both lnb's 17 volts which is extremely nice! Hopefully the LNB and the Ortho feedhorn will make up some ground on the lack of size, but I don't think I wont be happy until I have a 12 footer with the ortho locked, BOTB! (Balls on the bird) I certainly wouldn't deny a 12 footer or larger a home either! :D

I speak to roger at rps here in Canada regularly, he sells new dishes but told me most sales are commercial and home users go used, I wanted to get a DH 12' from him but the price is high because of import fees and shipping, I guess it really depends on were you are, I have to save up some more to get a new dish :) I see mesh on his site but personally I want a solid commercial dish, I know he has used dishes but not sure if he ships them? few of my friends grabbed used mesh dishes from him. Look for a local big dish dealer maybe they have used ones available.

something to think about...

Well, if I was so determined, I'd wait for the next big Scientific Atlanta (or similar dish) to show up here on the forum...
Then, I would be willing to go quite a few hundred miles (maybe a thousand) to get it.

I've moved dishes without disassembly on a small flat bed truck.
Well, actually it was a stake bed, but I took off the stakes.

Yes, it cost $60-75 a day to rent, but even a few days rental and a few motel nights for you and a good friend are well shy of new cost for a multi-thousand dollar commercial dish. ;)

What dealers are left that are actually selling Cband dish's. I have been talking with Mike via email at Skyvision, and they are all out of 10 footers, and only have a few 12 footers in stock. While priced at two grand, that's beyond my comfort zone! Cband dish's around my parts are becoming very hard to find and short of going commercial which is even more expensive, Who's left dealing 10 - 14 foot dish's? Come springtime I'm going to put a local ad in the paper so see if anyone bites on wanting to get rid of their dish, but other than that buying a brand new dish seems like a nearly impossible task now.

Also, According to Mike, the last factory that made the dish's here in the US are no longer making them as of last May. Today I made sure to get my order in for a two Norsat 8515's from epay for about 100 bucks and I ordered a Chaparral 11-1329-1 Dual C-Band Feed Horn from Rick's site (the price was too good to pass up!) so we will see how that helps out my 7 1/2 footer that I want to desperately upgrade to a 10 footer min but a 12 footer would be optimal!

I'm going to feed both of the LNB's with a pico macom true spec power insurter wich will feed both lnb's 17 volts which is extremely nice! Hopefully the LNB and the Ortho feedhorn will make up some ground on the lack of size, but I don't think I wont be happy until I have a 12 footer with the ortho locked, BOTB! (Balls on the bird) I certainly wouldn't deny a 12 footer or larger a home either! :D

Bob have you looked around the northwest suburbs of Chicago towards Crystal lake for scronging? I know back in the heyday there were plenty up that way. I used to deal with Tee-Comm in Elk Grove Village and there were quite a few dealers up that way. While Vincor covered the south end by you and I there were some heavy hitters up north that installed a lot. I seen a couple 10 footers around me still, don't know if they are being used or not, probably not. A 12 is going to be hard to come by in our area. Only nut cases :D like me ordered those monsters back in the day.

.......A 12 is going to be hard to come by in our area. Only nut cases :D like me ordered those monsters back in the day.

I prefer the term "Slightly-Eccentric Connoisseur of Satellite Signal Gathering", but to each his own. :D

Similar hunting/gathering opportunities in my neck of the woods, a few 10 footers to be had, but 12s are rarer than frog feathers. :(

I think what im going to do is rent a truck this spring and take a drive around dekalb and the surrounding area. I know where there is a 10 footer minimally, easily a 12 footer less than 5 miles from my house. The old man wont let me have it though. Its got a HH motor on it too!

With the demize of 4dtv I'm wondering if I should take a drive by there again and see about picking it up. I was going to wait until the spring time.

... The old man wont let me have it though. Its got a HH motor on it too!

Sounds familiar. One guy started foaming at the mouth as he told me how much he paid for his dish back in the day, and how he'll scrap it himself rather than let anyone have it -- if it ever came to that.

I know of a 16 footer in Madison, WI, that might look nice at your place. Wonder what that cost new?

16footer.jpg

Sounds like we have a few people in Northern IL with their eyes open. I have spotted a few, but the owners tell me what they paid for them and that "they would scrap it before giving it away for anything less than $500." What a shame. Some wont even part with the ones in extreme disrepair that could be restored for around 200-300 for new panels, feed, or motor. I need to get something up quick as I hear they are talking about banning anything over 1M in my area as most do.

Sounds familiar. One guy started foaming at the mouth as he told me how much he paid for his dish back in the day, and how he'll scrap it himself rather than let anyone have it -- if it ever came to that.

I've experienced the same. Many people will say "No", but you just need to keep hunting for the one person who will be happy to free up some lawn space by getting rid of their old C-Band dish.

Here's a bit of an analogy. Years ago (back in 1999) I attended a classic rock festival, which involved onsite camping. There was one young (in his 20's) guy there putting out every pickup line there was to any girl who walked past - he was trying to get "lucky" that night. This went on for hours and hours. I told him that he was very persistent, and he said "99% of the girls will say NO, but I'm trying to find the 1% who will say YES." (He did find the 1%) I figure that it is the same for the C-Band hunt. 80% of the people may say "NO", but all you have to do is keep hunting for part of the 20% who will say YES and will be happy to be rid of the dish. In order to save thousands of dollars, it's worth a bit of work and persistence.

My BUD was free - all I had to do was take it down and remove it.

I know of a 16 footer in Madison, WI, that might look nice at your place. Wonder what that cost new?

View attachment 59978

I would take it if we could get it down here in one peice!

I payed $799.00 new for my Unimesh 12XL Dish alone in 1989. At todays prices I could probably get an easy $1500.00 for it used the condition it is in. Now if I throw in the Thompson Saginaw 24" actuator (rebuilt the motor last year), National ADL RP1C feed and Cal Amp Professional LNB It would be worth lots more. I guess its worth some good value if people are holding on to them. Before I would scrap it I would give it away for dirt to someone who would promise to keep it going another 21 years though.

Put Up, or . . .

One of my spy folks has cornered a 16 foot Scientific Atlanta dish.
And, it's under 500 miles from you.
It's currently fully assembled and on its base, similar to shown here.
I think the way you move 'em is to break 'em in half as shown, and move as two pieces (plus the mount).

He said he'd arrange for it be yours for just $100.
You supply the tools, labor, and take it away.
If interested then of course, you should research such a project and not go in blind.
It might be attractive, and it might not.
But, you asked for a big dish for cheap, and this fits your description!

western suburbs

Here is 7 right down 88
Google Maps

All are mesh except the one by the cemetary, which is a solid fiber I think
All are at least 8ft, TommyOs and Sikich are 10 maybe 12 and there are two at TommyOs. Sikich, although a comm co, the dish is not being used since it is missing a mesh panel.

The gas stations have some commercial ku offset dishes not in use (no lnbs)

There is more,....but finders keepers.

Surprised some have trouble BUDs are all over around here.

C Band is the original "termination" of all "transmission"

bigger.JPG

Today at an IMAX Theatre, about going 3D, see, C!!!

Am I My own Rental!?...using a DVB-S2 receiver on NASA; for the rest deal with "what is delayed signal"; and this old 10' C Bander, even with big holes in it; get's the signal first..

Back in 1995, it would have been easy to "scalp" a C Band from it's owner; the advent of its price was that some mini-dish (pie in the sky was $200.00 to turn off big dish programs and change them to Prime, directv, or dish net) dealers selling the mini 18" for $1000.00, and scrapping such is a big ugly dish by un-hooking it; and promoting theirs to "digitizing status". Anybody still selling big dish and it's advantages was run out of town, as they carried their message "that will be a dinosaur in 2 years". Those dishes hit the scrap heap, everybody that had one in their garage or back yard; all went to metal companies for meltdown ($10.00 paid for its delivery to the scrap heap), and such is a BUD dealer went down with them.

Well, today, you'll still hear such words from most, if not all, "mini pie in the eye" dealers; they cannot sell but what they sign their contract's for, as in being against any "BUD" they may find, or any other who would dare receive any channel they sell; for free. And because everybody and their second Cousin sells one of the little ones; who else is to say anything to the general public, after all, they have the words to say it the way they want (and the contractuals to play with it that way!). How do they say the word "FREE" means what and why? And justify like it is the new cell phone age; with your good credit, now I will take from you your "just a my monthly fee"?

And so they came in droves, filling in the many miles we used to travel with so many local mini-dish dealers, you can find one every square mile you travel, "selling" pie in the sky dishes, with your good credit in mind.

So today, you will not find many not swaying their wind to one mini-pie or another; and every year; there are less and less C Band dishes near or far. But if you look real hard today, you will find the wind to play, many a FTA C Band song (look, there are a few here, right today saying C Band is still here!).

So today I'll brag about what I am doing for C Band is still only as strong as your desire to provide to your children; the right and true words, all people should hear. C Band is American! C Band makes those pictures; for ALL mini's, near and far! C Band is the oldest American signal still found! C Band is, and will be, what the cable company uses and will be! C Band has the internet on it, traveling through space with the greatest of ease! C Band is used on All of those towers you talk to each other with when you use your cell phone, no matter how old it is! C Band is so much the Commercial headend, first needed and used by directv or dish net! If first you look and find a channel you want to watch is not in or offered by pie dish; look, there in the sky, if you use you have a BUD, it already is, and they may never see it any other way! A C Band dish has the signal first, for foremost on the mind is the originator, in full control of "it is a pay for it signal", and before it gets to a mini-pie dish, or secondary contributor; I'm gonna "secure" it right here, on my BIG DISH transmitter! Then the rest of you whom pay me for it's rights; can distribute it per person, for you paid for its rights (as long as I do not catch you not paying for each person to me; is the only rights you have)! And when it comes to Communications today, delay; delay; delay; will make C band much better as it has much less of any delay; for any "re-broadcaster" is second to any C Band played...

May the force be with you, for C Band is not just original, it is normally the first non-delayed delivery of a "satellite" or "multi-country" transmission; and has so much bandwidth, that soon, a picture will be available live, that is 2160x3840 p; Is this what the Military uses for determination of facials they play, 20 years to the day after, that signal is ours, a C Band play...

Look at me, I justify C Band only; and now I have the entire ******** as my landing; business that is!.:D

And people still give me their's is too big C; for they want somebody else to tell them; they are so modern, they do not listen to me....

Central Oregon's Free To Air Satellite and Antenna Dealer offering MPEG II/IV QPSK/8PSK/16PSK DVB S/S2 for large and small satellite dishes, Home, Commercial, and Antenna Reception System sales, installation and repair

Used C Band is available, if your looking, I'm cooking; up some used equipment right now, and have been, and will be still; since 1985...

Last edited:
Where were you about 3 years ago when I was trying to give away an undamaged mesh one near Roanoke, VA? IIRC it was a ten footer; hadn't been used in years. In-laws were selling their house and the dish "wasn't helping." Never did get a taker.

Of course, you're all crazy. ;)

Where were you about 3 years ago when I was trying to give away an undamaged mesh one near Roanoke, VA? IIRC it was a ten footer; hadn't been used in years. In-laws were selling their house and the dish "wasn't helping." Never did get a taker.

Of course, you're all crazy. ;)

Maybe my cost to get there at 1K or more per flight, is too high, but I will do the same today, but from Oregon, flying while driving, you might not allow...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)