What Channels Have 5.1 Surround Sound?

netsfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey everyone. I just bought a new home theater system. I was wondering if there was a way to get Surround Sound from my Dish receiver. I did a search in the forum but didn't quite find the answer. I read that only certain stations broadcast in Dolby 5.1. I don't have HDTV, and in fact I only have the basic top 60 right now.
Do any channels in the Top 60 broadcast in Surround Sound? Is there a complete list available anywhere?
On a side note, is the sound through the red/white composite cable the same as the sound through regular coax, or is there a difference? Those are the only two outputs from my receiver. Thanks in advance!

Without knowing what model satellite receiver you have, I'd say that the best you will be able to do is to receive Dolby Pro Logic. That is available on most all of the SD channels. You must have an HD satellite receiver and tune to an HD channel to receive DD 5.1 If you have an optical "digital audio out", that is the best one to use to your surround receiver.

All base HD PAK channels except ESPN-HD carry 5.1 content.

Non-HD channels that have 5.1 are....Some PPV, HBO, Showtime and Starz East and West. Not all programs on these channels are in 5.1.

NightRyder

I read somewhere today where ESPN was now 5.1. When I got home today and tried, it did show up as DD. I guess I will have to wait until sports center is over to be impressed, though.

sA :: Shaggy said:
all of my channels are in 5.1 (maybe not tru 5.1 but) i can hear the stuff coming from behind me. I never get the little DD light w/ my reciever unless its coming from a dvd.

Might be your receiver is simulating the back channels. Mine does this and displays PLEX C. When you get the DD light I would guess it is full DD 5.1.

Same with my receiver. Any receiver with optical out (all of the DVRs, the HD receivers and a few legacy receivers) can send a Dolby Digital signal to your home theater receiver. Very few channels in AT60 (if any) broadcast in Dolby Digital and most are in stereo not many do the Pro Logic. Personally I don't bother with Pro Logic and go with the Logic 7 that my receiver does software decoding in, one of the better simulated surround sound setups that I've come across.