What compression is programing delievered to Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I know E* is moving towards MPEG4 but is programing delievered to them in MPEG2 or uncompressed?

Will providers ever switich to MPEG4..is there a need or benifit if they did?

I know E* is moving towards MPEG4 but is programing delievered to them in MPEG2 or uncompressed?

Will providers ever switich to MPEG4..is there a need or benifit if they did?

good question, you would think the provider gives it in mpeg4,, E* is only gone switch mpeg4 to hd channel, if they switch all the programming to mpeg4, they will have to replace all of the recievers, and i dont think everyone provides mpeg4.

DISH gets some programming in analog, most in MPEG2, very little in MPEG4 (Turner is the #1 MPEG4 user so far for distribution feeds to dbs/cable/fios/iptv providers).

I'm sure DISH network does reprocessing of every signal (since the master feeds are much better quality (esp. higher datarate in most cases) than what DISH transmits out by satellite to end users.

Actually that does raise an interesting image quality question. Since MPeG is a lossy compression, are they re-compressing MPeG2 into MPeg4 and thus losing more image quality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)