What determines HD Locals?

ross9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Ms Coast
I live in south Ms and all my locals are SD yet zip codes 20 miles to the west of me get thier locals in HD.
The areas to the west receive all New Orleans stations in HD and I receive NBC & CBS from the same New Orleans stations yet mine are in SD as are ABC & Fox from Biloxi.

I live in south Ms and all my locals are SD yet zip codes 20 miles to the west of me get thier locals in HD.
The areas to the west receive all New Orleans stations in HD and I receive NBC & CBS from the same New Orleans stations yet mine are in SD as are ABC & Fox from Biloxi.

Locals are determined by the zip code on the account. Whether or not we carry them in HD depends on contracts with the stations, and also could have something to do with bandwidth

What's your zip code?

My zip is 39532 and I am in the Biloxi DMA but what I don't understand is the fact that 2 of my locals come from New Orleans and they are HD in that area. If the contracts are with the stations it would seem i could at least get those 2 in HD.

The N'orleans spot beam has Biloxi well covered. How much room is left on that transponder is another issue entirely as Matt suggests.

Locals are determined by the zip code on the account. Whether or not we carry them in HD depends on contracts with the stations, and also could have something to do with bandwidth

What's your zip code?

In my case the reason that DISH does not have locals in HD for my zip code has EVERYTHING to do with bandwidth most likely. All 4 station managers have told me they have it in their contracts with DISH that DISH can provide their channels in HD.

In my case the reason that DISH does not have locals in HD for my zip code has EVERYTHING to do with bandwidth most likely. All 4 station managers have told me they have it in their contracts with DISH that DISH can provide their channels in HD.
Matt
If that's the case, what's the fix? Dish is the only provider in this area that does not offer HD locals. With more and larger HD tv's on the market people want to be able to watch the Saints, LSU, Alabama football and other sports in HD. Need help.

Matt
If that's the case, what's the fix? Dish is the only provider in this area that does not offer HD locals. With more and larger HD tv's on the market people want to be able to watch the Saints, LSU, Alabama football and other sports in HD. Need help.
Matt won't (can't) say this but change your zip code on the account. You need to "move" the service address but leave the billing address as is. There are plenty of threads on "moving".

Matt won't (can't) say this but change your zip code on the account. You need to "move" the service address but leave the billing address as is. There are plenty of threads on "moving".

LOL...did that for 5 yrs before locals were even available and even now for some football games. It would just be nice to not go thru all that BS.

Sorry for the bump but, is this really just as easy as calling dish and changing just my zip code? I was thinking of "moving" to pitts (conus locals right?).

Western Arc is spotbeam, Eastern Arc is Conus. Depending on where you are now it could change your RSN also, blackouts on ESPN and MLBN etc....
It's also not just Zip Code, you have to give the address of the residence there. Anything shipped by Dish or any service will be directed to that residence I am told.......
Because neighborhoods determine when UPS will leave a package, keep in mind they do require a signature in some cases regardless if the sender requires one, should you need a replacement receiver etc...... Dish will not send to a P.O Box or an address other than what they have for you.

Just one other thing, while Direct and Dish are two totally different companies, there is very recent post, at this site where Direct did notify the poster he was in violation of the contract because they felt his address was not where he lived....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)