What DISH channels DO have 5.1 sound?

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
OK.. I have the 522 and use the optical out to my 5.1 amp.. of course.. all the "basic" channels are 2Ch PCM sound.

Do they in fact have any 5.1 sound channels? Like HBO? Etc? Anyone know what channels for sure? (Not PPV.. only interested in subscription channels.. I already rent cheap movies from Netflix)

If I could find this out I might order some of those channels.. and I would assume they would record in 5.1 as well? I could nix netflix too then.. I just can't stand watching those "free" movie channels (those that we do get with our 180 ch plan) they all have only 2 ch sound.

Granted, it's not pure 5.1, but most home theatre audio systems have the ability to do "Dolby(R) Pro Logic" which decodes the surround track which is encoded in the two channel audio of a lot of programs.

And the new DPL II does simulated 5.1.

All DVR models will record DD as will the D-VHS which was the first consumer product to be able to do so.

The entire Showtime suite has DD. It would be a nice bonus for AT180 subscribers for Dish to include the DD that is available on The Movie Channel channels in that package.

More DD info, including channels, is at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/236.

Welp.. I ordered HBO yesterday.. and it came on instantly.. and sure enough.. TWO channels are in fact DD!! (And yes.. I know there's different arrangements of 1, 2, 5 channels) but indeed.. I recorded my first movie and it IS Dolby 3/2.1 sound! PURE DD! Unreal. Love it! What a difference that makes!... so sad the other 6 HBO channels are NOT DD.. can't believe this doesn't cause an flood of emails to the networks/DISH

Only channels 300 and 303 are dolby digital. (Plus 4 others if you have Starz and Showtime)

Tx for the help.

HEY... a post above mentions SHOWTIME suite ALL channels have DD? Is that true? I read only 2 channels do- like HBO- just W and E. If this is indeed true, or a recent change, I would dump HBO (already) and get showtime.

Can anyone confirm this for sure?

that is the good thing about my cable company. if it is in 5.1, then that's the way i get it. i am surprised the satellite companies don't turn it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts