What Dish Is This?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
This one is within 2 miles from my house and I've been after it for about 2 years now. The people that own the property have finally decided they want it moved. Major problem for me though is my car trailer dish moving fixture is 3" pipe and this one is mounted on 4" pipe?

So can someone tell me what brand dish this is? The feed horn cover says Unimesh but it doesn't look anything like the one I already have.

P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010004.JPG

That thing is built like a tank! I don't know what it is, but there must be a tremendous strain on the center without a 2ft circular ring to cradle that dish. Must be why the polar mount is attached to a 4" pipe? Is it steel or alluminum?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's an all aluminum 10 footer and they used SS hardware on it too so there's no rust anywhere except the dish mover. The polar mount is cast aluminum and pretty thick. The ribs going out from the center are solid aluminum and 1/2" thick so I doubt there's much flex in it. It looks good and is in much better condition than that 10ft Unimesh I'm currently using. The dish mover is a Super Jack so it can't be but so heavy.

Just got to see if I can find the pipe and stuff to make an adapter to mount it on my current 3" pipe. We'll see how heavy it is once we pick it off it's current mount. Once I get it off I'm going to cut the mounting post off at ground level so I'll have a piece of pipe to work with from that. I have a milling machine, a welder and some scrap metal here so I'm sure I can "rig" up something that will work once I get it home.

Maybe someone else will know what brand name this thing is. As heavy as it's built I'd say it was a "top of the line" dish back in the day.

I'm not believing this one. This thread has been up for two days now and it's gotten 130 hits and no one knows who made this dish? :wtf2

I don't know either. Made good though from the looks of it.

I'm not believing this one. This thread has been up for two days now and it's gotten 130 hits and no one knows who made this dish? :wtf2

Dude, not everybody has seen every dish, and there were 1,000's of them, and variations on those. I have never seen that exact dish myself, but it looks like a good one.

As for your 3" pole, you can slide a 4" pole over it, and cross-drill holes top and bottom and use bolts to lock them together. I've done that, and it's like using a Schedule 80 instead of Schedule 40 pipe. Just make sure that the TOP of the 4" pole is slightly above the 3" poles top, and that it's flat and level. if not, you'll have a hell of a time getting the polar mount just right.

Never seen one just like that, but it looks like a keeper. Declination adjustment does look like it would be a handful for one person but you may not have to change it. Get it!

Well at this point I'm both impressed and bewildered. Impressed with what you guys think about the quality of this dish and bewildered that I have something that so many have never seen before. This one is in a neighborhood that has a bunch of those small Winegard Cband dishes and it's only about a half mile from where I got that 7.5ft SAMI dish a couple of years back. Obviously the vendor that sold this one wasn't the same as the one that sold the smaller dishes. Don't know if they still have the old analog receiver but will take that too if they do.

Oh, and I've come up with a solution on mounting it and it won't cost me any money either. I'll try to take some pictures to show what I've done after I get it up and I think you'll be surprised at how simple it was.

But first I've got to wait for the owner to call me and tell me what they want for it. She's seems like she's in somewhat of a hurry to get it down as it's on a rental property that they're trying to rent again so that may be an advantage for me especially since I told her I'd take the post down also. We shall see I guess.

Maybe you've got yourself a prototype dish that the dealer just wanted to get rid of.

Somebody sure spent some money on nice engineering, and casting parts though.

Thats a Raydx dish. Made in Florida. Thats why it has all stainless hardware. I scrapped one that a hurricane did a number on the mesh and bent some ribs from a pine tree that landed close enough to brush it.

Stogie5150 is right that is a Raydx dish, i pick one up about 15 yeas a go from a home owner that had one at hes garage roof. Holy smoke that is a heavy dish, i transported the dish back of pick up truck . Do no try to take the dish a part, it is structure like a 10" Orbitran dish with lots of ribs an mash sections.

This are some old magazines that i have way back from the good old days, with some dish photos.
img005.jpg
img006.jpg
img007.jpg
img008.jpg
img009.jpg

Thanks for the info Stogie, and others!! I knew someone on here had to have seen one of those somewhere over the years. At least now I have a name to put with it. Now I need the owner call me about moving it, which she hasn't done yet?

10.5ft huh, ya know, when I was looking at the face of that thing it did strike me as being larger than a 10 footer but then again it didn't seem big enough to be a 12. I wasn't aware anyone made one that size.

I have one of those dishes completely disassembled in my garage and it is definitely a Raydx. It took hours to take down and strip and transport, thankfully the SS hardware made the job go smoothly with simple hand tools and no rust.

"Houston we have a problem!" Looking like the mesh on this dish is Cband only as the openings are larger than what the Winegard and Unimesh I have are? :( Search didn't find anything related to mesh size so does anyone know what the maximum mesh opening is that will still function with Ku?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)