What do I need in my wiring closet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

unwired

Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Virginia
I would like to clean up the mess left behind by Dish installers, multiple wires across my roof, down the house and slipped under windows. What kind of distribution box would I need in a closet? I have quad-LNB feeding a 622 in master bedroom and 922 in the basement, both connected to 65" plasma displays. I am remodeling the basement for home theater and want to run RG6 and Cat5e to wall plates.

I have no need for multi-room distribution, each location will have its own receiver. I also plan to put a third receiver on the main floor of the house.

If you have advice for similar distribution panel for OTA, this is also sorely needed. Currently it runs from antenna through bedroom window into an amplifier, from there a splitter, back out the window and down to the basement.

Did I mention its a mess? :)

Thanks much for your help in advance.

I hate when they drape ugly black cables all over the house! I surveyed, though about it, cut holes, surveyed some more, and eventually drilled holes and routed cables internally from my equipment/network room in the basement (location of my 722) all the way into the attic, and fished wires through walls for a neat/clean installation.

My roof-mounted antenna goes into a 4-way distribution amp and then into the diplexers going to my receivers. The cabling is singular for each receiver. So my "distribution panel" is basically an area inside my attic.

Thank you both for your replies.

Papalittle, apologies but I was unable to locate a "NIB box", although I did receive some interesting results from search. Could I ask for a more formal name?

TheKrell, I considered a diplexer (can they be used with Dish Network feed? I thought I read differently) on my roof for eliminating an additional cable into the house, but can this be split off inside the house to go to multiple rooms? With your description it sounds as though I would need a second diplexer inside to split the ATSC signal from Dish, which would then go into a distribution amp, since I need to get both feeds going to three floors of my home.

Maybe this is what I am missing - is it possible to use some sort of diplexer to combine LNB outputs from dish with an OTA antenna cable, and then another inside to split signals (this solution would give me only one cable into the house, can I get a halelujah)? Can I then daisy chain diplexers inside to eliminate multiple runs through the house?

I have no attic, this is a three story open floor plan log cabin, so unfortunately I will have wire(s) running over the roof.

Thanks again for your help, I'm getting close to a solution!

Yes; diplexers go in pairs. You can combine ONE satellite feed with the OTA antenna, and split it back out again at the receiver, so that the OTA antenna feeds the OTA tuner, while the satellite feed goes to your satellite tuner(s). Dish has a triplexer that goes from the single cable to all 3 tuners.

Note that you must maintain the single cable from the switch (or LNB assembly) all the way to each receiver individually. You do NOT split the satellite signal from a single cable and feed it to multiple receivers. This is because the receiver has to control the last switch (or LNB assembly) to pick a satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)