What do I need internet for?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tjlandberg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Fargo, North Dakota
I'm moving to a rural part of MN and my internet will be pretty slow. Maybe 1mb down. I plan on getting a 3 room system with one of the Joey's being wireless. What all do I need to have internet for?

Does VOD use the satellite or internet?

Can I use the dish anywhere app in my house through my wifi or does it get sent out and then back in through my internet? (if I can do that then maybe I wont need the wireless Joey. Any help would be appreciated.

Vod requires Internet, and substantial amounts. If slinging inside the same network, then it is not Internet, but uses your home network.

It should be noted that while slinging inside your own home does use your network it does still need to hit the internet to authenticate your account. That won't use much in the way of bandwidth but just making sure you're aware.

Be very careful though, because the wireless data hotspots usually have very low data caps, so even if they offer a great speed, they limit how much data you can use each month, or if not an outright limit, there may be very high overage charges.

check to see if HOTSPOTS are available in your area. Most major cellphone carriers offer internet by hotspots(wifi).
Can't say that I've ever seen a carrier sponsored hot spot in a suburban area, much less a rural area as the TS is concerned with.

Hot spots, atleast older ones, are not reliable enough to do the VOD. Plus as mentioned, VOD uses large amounts of data, which hotspots usually have low data caps, sometimes lower than satellite internet. Plus the signal strength will play a part in it as well.

Never seen a public one either. I've seen ATT Wi-Fi, for instance, but it was from a store or something that used them for customers.

No hotspots around me. I've got 18 gbs with Verizon so if I need to I can use some of that I'll just have to monitor that so I don't go over. I also have a 4k tv and I heard dish was suppose to have some 4k content. I'm guessing it hasn't come out yet.

So if I can use dish anywhere in my network maybe I don't need the 3 receiver. I could just cast my phone or tablet to the 3rd tv.

No hotspots around me. I've got 18 gbs with Verizon so if I need to I can use some of that I'll just have to monitor that so I don't go over. I also have a 4k tv and I heard dish was suppose to have some 4k content. I'm guessing it hasn't come out yet.

So if I can use dish anywhere in my network maybe I don't need the 3 receiver. I could just cast my phone or tablet to the 3rd tv.
Unless someone knows of a way to achieve this, you can NOT cast DishAnywhere from a mobile device to a TV, at least not an approved method, and I don't think talk of hacks regarding this would be allowed here.

Dish is set to release some sort of NEW feature that will replace the Virtual Joey: a Wally, I think. From FCC filings, it seems like it may be some form of "mirror casting" that allows a Hopper or Joey to be mirror cast to another TV in your home, but what this new Wally feature will actually do is not known, but it is coming--soon? I don't know when other than what was filed at the FCC.

However, if you don't want to wait, you can use a Slingbox to Sling video to an HDTV using an Amazon Fire TV, which includes the FREE Slingbox App that Slings within your LAN for excellent full HD PQ. Ideally, you would want to use the analog connections such as component video for HD quality (or even the SD composite will work but is inferior PQ and aspect of HDTV channels), to the Slingbox so that you can view all channels regardless of HDCP. The HDMI connection is HDCP compliant and, on Dish, will not sling video from ALL Disney owned channels (this includes ABC Family, ESPN, et al.) HBO, Showtime and Movie Channel at the least that I know of; there may be even more channels slammed down by HDCP via Dish I don't know about. So stick to using the analog connections.

Don't bother using the Roku for Slinging to a TV in your situation (the Sling App is FREE on Roku, as well) because the video is sent OUT to the internet and then back in. Further, the Roku device requires that it be initiated using a mobile device and then "cast" via the internet to your Roku connected to your TV, and then the Roku remote is DEAD except for the HOME key. All remote controls of the Slingbox/DVR/Dish box is using the mobile device as the remote control, but you can do other tasks on the phone or tablet while it is "casting" (via the internet) to your TV.

Keep in mind that while you are using the Slingbox, another person can not use the box the Slingbox is connected to because the Slingbox operates the DVR/Dish box as if you were there in the room controlling and watching it. The Slingbox within your LAN will NOT negatively affect your bandwidth or data-cap because the video is being Slinged within you LAN (home network) and never goes out to the internet, however, I think at start of session, a very small signal is sent to the Sling servers to verify your account, but that is a minuscule amount of data, but then again, if you don't have some form of internet for the verification, you won't be able to Sling even if it is only within your home network/LAN. That was a stupid change they made some time ago, but Slingbox does work great. I use it for LAN and remote locations and can be viewed on PC's, laptops, and mobile devices, as well.

The Roku and Amazon Fire TV are now the ONLY connected devices currently supported by Slingbox (Roku and Fire TV are the "NEW" official connected devices that Sling is promoting, so their support is fresh and should continue for a long time). Older connected devices have reports of being buggy and not functioning as before, so don't try to go legacy for this. I can tell you the Roku works very well, but it first goes out to the internet via your upstream and then back downstream to your network.

Amazon is taking per-orders for Fire TV to be in stock next week, I think. I have ordered mine because the Fire TV Sling App is like the old experience on the WDTV which is far more intuitive for my family to use because they find the Roku method too cumbersome. My family is NOT the least bit techie and need easy simple ways of doing things. Good luck.

Last edited:
One way to sling from a mobile device to a tv... Apple and appletv. Another way is a computer connected via hdmi to tv.

Unless someone knows of a way to achieve this, you can NOT cast DishAnywhere from a mobile device to a TV, at least not an approved method, and I don't think talk of hacks regarding this would be allowed here.

Dish is set to release some sort of NEW feature that will replace the Virtual Joey: a Wally, I think. From FCC filings, it seems like it may be some form of "mirror casting" that allows a Hopper or Joey to be mirror cast to another TV in your home, but what this new Wally feature will actually do is not known, but it is coming--soon? I don't know when other than what was filed at the FCC.

However, if you don't want to wait, you can use a Slingbox to Sling video to an HDTV using an Amazon Fire TV, which includes the FREE Slingbox App that Slings within your LAN for excellent full HD PQ. Ideally, you would want to use the analog connections such as component video for HD quality (or even the SD composite will work but is inferior PQ and aspect of HDTV channels), to the Slingbox so that you can view all channels regardless of HDCP. The HDMI connection is HDCP compliant and, on Dish, will not sling video from ALL Disney owned channels (this includes ABC Family, ESPN, et al.) HBO, Showtime and Movie Channel at the least that I know of; there may be even more channels slammed down by HDCP via Dish I don't know about. So stick to using the analog connections.

Don't bother using the Roku for Slinging to a TV in your situation (the Sling App is FREE on Roku, as well) because the video is sent OUT to the internet and then back in. Further, the Roku device requires that it be initiated using a mobile device and then "cast" via the internet to your Roku connected to your TV, and then the Roku remote is DEAD except for the HOME key. All remote controls of the Slingbox/DVR/Dish box is using the mobile device as the remote control, but you can do other tasks on the phone or tablet while it is "casting" (via the internet) to your TV.

Keep in mind that while you are using the Slingbox, another person can not use the box the Slingbox is connected to because the Slingbox operates the DVR/Dish box as if you were there in the room controlling and watching it. The Slingbox within your LAN will NOT negatively affect your bandwidth or data-cap because the video is being Slinged within you LAN (home network) and never goes out to the internet, however, I think at start of session, a very small signal is sent to the Sling servers to verify your account, but that is a minuscule amount of data, but then again, if you don't have some form of internet for the verification, you won't be able to Sling even if it is only within your home network/LAN. That was a stupid change they made some time ago, but Slingbox does work great. I use it for LAN and remote locations and can be viewed on PC's, laptops, and mobile devices, as well.

The Roku and Amazon Fire TV are now the ONLY connected devices currently supported by Slingbox (Roku and Fire TV are the "NEW" official connected devices that Sling is promoting, so their support is fresh and should continue for a long time). Older connected devices have reports of being buggy and not functioning as before, so don't try to go legacy for this. I can tell you the Roku works very well, but it first goes out to the internet via your upstream and then back downstream to your network.

Amazon is taking per-orders for Fire TV to be in stock next week, I think. I have ordered mine because the Fire TV Sling App is like the old experience on the WDTV which is far more intuitive for my family to use because they find the Roku method too cumbersome. My family is NOT the least bit techie and need easy simple ways of doing things. Good luck.

All you need is a Nexus phone or tablet and you can cast your whole screen.

Right, for Slingbox. However, will this also work for DishAnywhre?
I have not done it, due to lack of equipment and will, but I have heard from multiple posters that it can be done. Let's see if Peggy sees this and responds. She was the one that initiated the idea for me in the first place.

I have not done it, due to lack of equipment and will, but I have heard from multiple posters that it can be done. Let's see if Peggy sees this and responds. She was the one that initiated the idea for me in the first place.
Dying to hear the final verdict. If it is so, that would be great. Of course, not as part of a hack. I would like to know if one can cast DishAnywhere NATIVELY. Hacks are another matter.

Now the HDMI cable I have tested. That does in fact work. Your TV just becomes your "monitor" for your laptop. And laptops can be fairly cheap nowadays.

I recently bought inexpensive Lenovo tablet w/Lollipop, was surprised to find it easily mirrors anything on the screen to Chromecast, Roku & a tv that has wifi (not smart). When my Samsung tab pro got Lollipop it mirrored too. No hacking involved. Just tried AMZ Fire tv which also has mirroring option - it also mirrors DA (from Samsung tablet), looks great! Older S3 phone has mirror option too (not Lollipop).

Any desktop or laptop works with hdmi cable, so do Android boxes & sticks, just need a wireless keyboard/mouse or phone with controller app. Lots of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)