What do I need internet for?

We do this at our lake cabin where we have internet access but no cable TV to catch a game or something pretty often. We have an Apple TV connected to the TV and we use Airplay to get my parents' Dish Anywhere account from the iPad to the TV.

It works pretty well and the picture quality is better than I would expect it to be. It doesn't look the same as being at home but it's definitely watchable.

Now the HDMI cable I have tested. That does in fact work. Your TV just becomes your "monitor" for your laptop. And laptops can be fairly cheap nowadays.
I did this at Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. My father-in-law wanted to watch the Cincinnati Bengals football game but it was only shown "locally" to where we live and not broadcast in SC. I connected our laptop to the TV in their half of the beachhouse and tried to watch the game. It technically worked but not well due to the slow speed of the internet service that came with the unit. I did a speedtest and never got over 1Mb/s download, so I'm thinking they pay for the lowest speed package offered (which is fine for simple browsing, email, etc, but not streaming).

Reactions: ChadT41
We do this at our lake cabin where we have internet access but no cable TV to catch a game or something pretty often. We have an Apple TV connected to the TV and we use Airplay to get my parents' Dish Anywhere account from the iPad to the TV.

It works pretty well and the picture quality is better than I would expect it to be. It doesn't look the same as being at home but it's definitely watchable.

We tried connecting the iPad3 to a HDTV via HDMI dongle to watch programs transferred from the HWS but it didn't work. Would the Apple TV somehow work into this mix to let us watch transferred programs, even where there is no Internet service to speak of?

My iPhone personal hotspot might help in such a small area, but cannot usually handle the load watching TV takes in the rural area where we RV.

We tried connecting the iPad3 to a HDTV via HDMI dongle to watch programs transferred from the HWS but it didn't work. Would the Apple TV somehow work into this mix to let us watch transferred programs, even where there is no Internet service to speak of?

My iPhone personal hotspot might help in such a small area, but cannot usually handle the load watching TV takes in the rural area where we RV.

I don't know about transferred shows. We've only used it to watch live sporting events. Plus my parents still have the original Hopper and I don't think that one is compatible with iPad transfers.

Reactions: navychop
I do it with streaming off of my Apple TV all the time. I don't have an HWS, I've got an H2K, or I would test the transferred for you...

Reactions: navychop
I won't know for sure until my dish equipment gets installed but it should. Unless Dish blocks the universal chromecast support in Android.
It is on some devices, but not all. This is the treading through lightly chartered waters, and hoping for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts