What do I need to install the 622 myself?

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
clarification

Anole said:
If your 6000 receiver has a DishPro adapter, then you have DishPro LNBs.
(someone correct me if I'm mistaken)
And if you do a check switch from any receiver which is DishPro capable (not behind a DishPro adapter), then the screen should tell what LNBs and switches you have.
The DishPro adapter makes DishPro switches and LNBs look like legacy to the 6000.
That's why I also commented that he'd need any actual DishPro-capable receiver connected to his antenna system to get a true read of the hardware.
(Not to mention that climbing on the roof and looking at the hardware confirmed that it was DishPro)

DishPro stuff has been around so long, I'll bet a lot of people forgot that the old 6000 is Legacy-only. ;)

Last edited:

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Dishpointer said:
Installed Switch Model: SW21 Does that look like a Dish Pro Switch to you? Mine say Installed Switch Model: DP21 not SW21. Maybe one of the installers can comment on this one.

Pst...Simon
Yeah, Anole already confirmed it, but the box said DP21 on it and the software showed SW21. I figured it showed SW21 since I wasn't checking with a Dish Pro capable receiver. Thanks guys. ;)

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Dishpointer said:
Installed Switch Model: SW21 Does that look like a Dish Pro Switch to you? Mine say Installed Switch Model: DP21 not SW21. Maybe one of the installers can comment on this one.

Pst...Simon
Anole beat me to it. ;) Legacy receiver with DishPro adapter.

Anyway - I only skimmed the thread, but it DOES sound like a DPP-Twin is the way to go here. Hook the wing dish to it's input port, and run ONE feed to a DPP Separator then to the 622, use the #2 output for the 6000u is you're keeping it.

This leaves you a DP-Twin and DP-21 for sale - which will offset almost all of the cost of the DPP-Twin.

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
OK. I exchanged the DP21 for the DP34. I have routed the two dishes into the #1 and #2 inputs on the DP34 and have one RG-6 cable (from the #1 output on the DP34) running into the house to a Dish Pro adapter and then to my 6000U. I did a check switch and, for some reason, I have now lost the 110 signal. I only have 61.5 and 119.

Any particular reason why this would happen?

Thanks!

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Somewhere, someone should have shown you a picture... and I wasn't following the thread and don't have such picture handy, but....

The two outputs of your Twin LNB (the double-wide one) on the Dish 500 should go to inputs (1 and 2 are often used) of the DP34.
The one output of your 61 LNB should go to an input (suggest #3) on the DP34.
Then do a check switch and you should be good to go.

I'll have to re-read the thread to find where we let you down.... :(

edit:
Nope, we didn't let you down ...
ajohnson said:
You might take a look at this pdf:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/111/Chapter4.pdf
Look at page 14 (it says pg62 on it)
Picture of your lashup is right there.
Don't feel bad, though.
In all the electronic equipment I've built over the years, and all the wire-wrapping I've done, the most common mistake I've ever made is to leave a wire out.
Beats the hell out of most of the alternatives! :)

Last edited:

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Anole said:
The two outputs of your Twin LNB (the double-wide one) on the Dish 500 should go to inputs (1 and 2 are often used) of the DP34.

So, I wonder why I only have one RG-6 cable coming from the dish with the twin LNBs? So far, I've only had one cable coming from each dish. It's been like this for years with the 6000U and the DB21. Why do I need to have two coming from the twin LNBs?

I guess the twin LNBs will pick up 110 and 119 from the same physical dish?

Not angry. Just curious. :confused:

Also, I suppose I could use the fourth input for a third dish pointing at 148? Will the 622 recognize all four locations? 61.5, 110, 119, and 148?

Last edited:

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
The Twin on 110 and 119 has a built in switch.
This lets your satellite receiver choose which bird it sees.

When you connect the Twin to the DP34, the internal switch is not used.
In this mode, 110 is sent to the DP34 on one dedicated RG6, and 119 is sent to the DP34 on the other RG6.
Consider that you might have up to four receivers who all want to choose whether they see 110 or 119.
The DP34 can offer each receiver, either signal on demand, only by having both available at its inputs at once.

Before, the DP21 combined the output of your Twin LNB with the single LNB for 61.
Now, you plug the 61 LNB into the DP34, and it takes over all switching.
Any of your four tuners/receivers (the DP34 has four outputs) can now choose any of your three birds.
Before, if you added a second satellite receiver, you would have had to also add another DP21.
And with the DP21's you would have been then limited to two receivers, maximum.
Truth is, the DP34's can be cascaded to add even more receivers, if need be.
That's why they are such a good solution to so many problems - they are quite versatile.

Just remember, with the DP34 setup, you must run two RG6 from the DP34 to your 622 receiver, and cannot use the seperator that came with it.

You could add a 148 dish and there are discussions here of which receivers can handle how many birds (and which combinations).
Not sure if 61 and 148 make a lot of sense, but... :) .... that's your business.

Last edited:

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Anole said:
Not sure if 61 and 148 make a lot of sense, but... :) .... that's your business.

I've just been told that Dish Network has higher bit rates on their HDPPV channel on the 148 than on the 61.5 bird.

But it all makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation!!!

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
oops, DP34 has only 3 inputs

I hasten to add that your DP34 is fully utilized with two cables from the Dish 500 carrying 110 and 119, and the 61 bird.
It has all three inputs in use.
To add 148 to the mix , I'd suggest you do some searching, as it's been heavily discussed.

The switch numbering is pretty simple:
..SW = old legacy switch
..DP = DishPro switch
..DP-34 = DishPro with 3 inputs and 4 outputs.
..DP-21 = DishPro with 2 inputs and 1 output.
..DPP-44 = DishProPlus with 4 inputs and 4 outputs.
get the idea?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
You guys, I'm having terrible luck with all of this. :(

I now have the twin 110 and 119 running one cable each (two total) to the #1 and #2 inputs on the BP34. The 61.5 is running one cable to the #3 input on the BP34.

I then have one RG-6 cable running from the #1 output of the BP34 to the input on the Dish Pro adapter and then the output of the dish pro adapter to the 6000U. Now I'm not getting ANY programming.

Does it matter which order I use the #1, #2, and #3 inputs on the BP34? What am I missing here?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Nevermind! I just did a check switch and it found all three birds and I have ALL of my programming back! Mwaa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa!!! Thanks for all of the help!

You wanna hear some more great news??? When I had Voom installed, they mounted the dish near my two E* dishes and they ran a separate RG-6 cable to my, then, Voom receiver. When I cancelled Voom, they took the reflector/dish/lnbs, but they left the cable run and the Base/Mount mast (so they wouldn't have to fill any holes in the roof). So, I was able to use the cable that used to be hooked up to Voom dish and I hooked it into output #2 on the DB34. So, when the ViP-622 arrives, I'm already all set. :D This makes me happy.

Now, I only need to do one cable run from the DB34 to the place where I want the 6000U to go.

Last edited:

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
To avoid future problems, make sure that your switch matrix is showing 119/110/61.5 and NOT 110/119/61.5 or any other combination.

The columns from left to right correspond to the inputs to the DP34 (top to bottom).

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
ChetK said:
I checked and that's how it is. Just curious, what kind of future problems am I avoiding?
E* boxes like to see 119 when they are installed, power up, reboot, are updated, etc.

"Column 1", "Port 1", etc. is the default state for all the LNBs & switches, so it just avoids issues.

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Yes, there's NO reason NOT to do it, and SOME reasons to do it.

It MAY work fine for an indefinite time, but if it decides NOT to, you might bang your head against the wall for a while.

Starting all the way from using port 1 on a Twin because it puts out 119 until told otherwise, up through a DPP44 plus DP21s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)