What do I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am installing it myself. :)

Equipment is being delivered tommorow. And I am signing up as a new customer. :)

I am actually very excited about it to be honest with you. :)

If you want something done right, do it yourself! Good that you're doing a self-install!

Good luck in this, if you can get us the same access the other site has, I'll be very happy. I don't like going to separate sites for my info, and would much rather stay here. But, to be truthful, I've always waited for the national releases of the HR20 software, never loaded a CE release.

Welcome to the dark side. I have an extra R10, Series 2 Tivo and 2 SD receivers if interested. Sounds like you got the right equipment to start. Hey, you get some pretty neat features with D* that you dont get with Dish. I've had both and like both but I really enjoy my D* setup.

Let me know if you get stuck installing. I've done my own setups and been a D* customer for 10 years. I am also down the road from you too.

I am installing it myself. :)

Equipment is being delivered tommorow. And I am signing up as a new customer. :)

I am actually very excited about it to be honest with you. :)

Good luck with the install. I watched the old AT-9 install video (you can catch it also at http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp if you care) and they stressed how important it was to get the signal peaked according to their procedure so you don't run into any problems with the Ka band for 99/103. IIRC, the AU-9 is supposed to be easier to set up so hopefully it will be a breeze for you.

And if you dare, and haven't check it out already, you might want to look at the FAQ and Tips and Tricks threads at http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115 for the HR20.

I have been reading everything all day. :) As I have said and have been saying, Earl does a great job.

I am getting the AU-9 Dish which is a lot easier to setup then a AT-9 dish. :)

The install should not be a problem for me. And the nice part is I can use the wiring from the AT&T Uverse Install. I will just need a Dual RG6 going to the bedroom as thats where the HR-20 is going. :D

But, to be truthful, I've always waited for the national releases of the HR20 software, never loaded a CE release.

Cheebs, what's nice about participating in the CE releases is that if you run into any problems with the software you can bring it to D*'s attention and hopefully get it fixed quicker then running into it on a national release then having to wait for the next national release to hopefully fix it. Except for one H20 CE release you can always backout to the then current national release by just forcing another download outside of a CE window.

I wish Dish would offer the same thing.

We are good and FREE beta testers. :)

I talked to them about it, currently there is no way for them to force a download like you can with a HR20, however in the future this could be added.

BTW, when checking the signal strength don't use the H20, at least until it gets a CE upgrade. The software in the national release doesn't show valid numbers for 103 and 99.

Im disappointed in fellow D* subs who only half heartedly support Scott. We complain about not getting the D* info and get upset at the E* slant and then when the guy makes a move to get more info., I hear dont try too hard Scott, from the same people.
You got my attention and I'm signed up!
Thanks, Boston.

Best of luck, Scott.

It puts me in mind of the guy who runs a DVR blog and who, in order to stay abreast of everything going on in the market, picks up each new DVR. He just had a Cable Card Vista MCE PC installed. I wish I had that kind of budget.

Scott...

I'd definitely make one of those receivers a Tivo. I know it's backwards thinking, but the hackability of the box is outstanding.

1) Download shows to your PC
2) Upload from your PC
3) Music/Photos/Internet Streams from your PC
4) Save DVDs to VOB format, then watch on your Tivo

Many others, but those are my favorites. Pick one up on E-Bay.

You got my attention and I'm signed up!
Thanks, Boston.
Thank you FHSPSU

So you know I have no affiliation with anyone here. I dont work for Sat guys or really know anyone here.

I just think this is a great resource and we should support it.

Im sure Scott thanks you too.

Well folks, if you seen in the pub, I am going to be getting DirecTV in an effort to help expand our DirecTV area (and in addition I will be working with DirecTV to expand our area) :) It is my hope that with DirecTV I an finally talk about DirecTV and know what I am talking about so I can better support the DirecTV folks here at SatelliteGuys.

Anyways I had a friend check on my account with DirecTV, since I had DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket 6 years ago (and only Sunday Ticket) in his check he saw that I was purged from the system and can sign up again as a new DirecTV customer.

I was only thinking of getting a HR 20, however now that the equipment is free (or lower cost) I am thinking about getting a total of 3 to 4 receivers.

All of my TV's in the house are HD. But I don't need HD receivers on all the TV's.

I only need one HR20, which I understand will cost me $199. What should I get for the rest?

I was thinking 1 or 2 MPEG4 non DVR receivers, and a SD DVR.

Do I need one of the 5 LNB dishes or will a 3 LNB dish be enough?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. :D
5LNB AU9 mandatory otherwise you can't get the 100 new channels in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to experience D* you will need a D11(D12)/aR15/aH20 and a HR20 so you have all models to see all the benefits and problems.

I got a HR20, a H20 and a R15 with a RU9 Dish.

I need to go pick them up today. :)

Guess what my project is this weekend. :D

I got a HR20, a H20 and a R15 with a RU9 Dish.

I need to go pick them up today. :)

Guess what my project is this weekend. :D

Good choices, Scott. I have had all three (I returned the H20 when I got my HR20) and have had no complaints.

Aligning the AU-9 is a challenge, but I'm sure you are up to it. The beamwidth on Ka band is quite narrow, so you need to follow the instructions rather than just peaking on 101 (a meter will help quite a bit). I had DirecTV install mine, figuring that I could alway redo it if the installer messed up. The Ironwood guy knew what he was doing, although he didn't ground anything (the Dish guys didn't either--do they ever?) so I haven't had to tweak anything.

If you can get it up tomorrow, check up the latest CE upgrade on dbstalk--new GUI, lots of fixes for the HR20.

--Bob

Scott -

My HR20-700 has been rock solid. (I've got an old LG and Hughes to round out my receivers)

I've heard stories about people not getting the "B-Band" converters installed.

Make sure you get those as well.

What is a "B-Band" convertor? All I have right now is the 3 LNB dish because my locals aren't available yet in HD but come September I will need a new dish and switch for my 3 HD DVR's. Will Directv replace the 3 HD Tivo's I have for free like they said they would when they anounced the MPEG-4 switch?

What is a "B-Band" convertor? All I have right now is the 3 LNB dish because my locals aren't available yet in HD but come September I will need a new dish and switch for my 3 HD DVR's. Will Directv replace the 3 HD Tivo's I have for free like they said they would when they anounced the MPEG-4 switch?

I ripped this off another site, to be quick about a reply:

In order to accommodate the additional channels enabled by the new Ka Band transponders, a secondary signal conversion process is employed. To accomplish this, the HR20 requires a separate module, called a "B" Band converter, for each HR20 satellite input. These modules are housed in small, separate external boxes coupled to the HR20's satellite cable input terminals.

It's a little rectangular box that hangs off the satellite inputs on the back of the HR20.

No big deal ... unless you don't have them. :D

The B Band converter is a little gray box that D* will supply with each MPEG4 receiver, it connects between the back of the receiver and the coax coming from the Ka/Ku band dish.

As for getting your HR10-250's switched for free, maybe they will or won't, unless you have it in writing it might be a crap shoot if they do or don't. Some have gotten free upgrades, some have had to pay and then take programming credits. You might just want to call now and see what they'll do for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)