What do the St. Louis Cardinals and Boston RedSox have in Common?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
A total 2006 Collapse. On September 20th, 2006, St. Louis Cardinals had an 8.5 lead on the second place Houston Astros. Since that memorable date, the St. Louis Cardinals have been in a total collapse (looking more and more like the Boston RedSox) and now the Houston Astros are only half a game behind them. The Houston Astros could be the surprise team that sneaks into the playoffs with only 3 more games left in the season. If they do, their starting pitching will be

Oswalt
Clement
Pettite

No a bad trio to have in the playoffs.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad and you're right, that woiuld be a nice trio to take into the playoffs..

Sean Mota said:
A total 2006 Collapse. On September 20th, 2006, St. Louis Cardinals had an 8.5 lead on the second place Houston Astros. Since that memorable date, the St. Louis Cardinals have been in a total collapse (looking more and more like the Boston RedSox) and now the Houston Astros are only half a game behind them. The Houston Astros could be the surprise team that sneaks into the playoffs with only 3 more games left in the season. If they do, their starting pitching will be

Oswalt
Clement
Pettite

No a bad trio to have in the playoffs.

Since my team has yet to figure out that pitching wins ballgames, I'll be rooting for the Astros. :D

I was hoping they would win the WS last year.

Yeah, I've been watching this painful story all too well every day since I live in St Louis.... It's so hard to believe that they could just GIVE UP so easily. they are playing worse than our Frontier League semi-pro ball team....

well as a famous st louis native said, " it aint over till its over" magic # now down to 2!! what they DONT have in common is WS championships.

BOSTON: 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004:

ST. LOUIS: 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982: (68, 85, 87, should have won, but thats sour grapes on my part.) more WS championships the any other team. of course we dont count teams that has a "Y" in there name! lol

dont count the cardinals out if we make the playoffs. but for that matter, cant count any team out. last three (at least) WS champions have been wild cards. so, (deep statment comming up) you never know!! GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
also, we will take into the playoffs...

Albert Pujols: 2005 MVP and my guess 2006 MVP ( the BEST player in the game; im ready to argue!)

Chris Carpenter: 2005 Cy Young: will get votes this year, but last 2 losses will hurt his chances.

and my cheering, thats worth at least 2 wins!! lol

sidekick said:
I think Ryan Howard's going to get the MVP nod.

great year by the st louis native, no question, but if phillies dont make the playoffs, how valuable was he??? ie. big mac hits 70 hr but no post season, sosa and the cubs play in october ( miracles do happen) and who gets the MVP.
if philles make the playoffs i still will agure, but if not, and we do: NO question!

well, cardinals coming into the playoffs on a winning streak. Looks like we are playing San Diego in NLDS. Remember 2004, who did we play in NLDS? You guessed it, San Diego. and I think that we can be a force to be reckened with, but as everyone says, in October it's a whole new ballgame. Everyone's 0-0 right now.

my guess is that Pujols will win the MVP again this year, and IMO Chris Carpenter would have won the Cy Young again, if it wasn't for a closer who blew more ballgames than dish network has blown fuses in the name of Jason Isringhousen.

How about the Florida Marlins a few years ago???? They make it as a wild card and NO ONE picks them to do anything in the playoffs.....

What do they go and do but actually WIN the World Series. So, anything is possible. LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!