What Do You Do When You Are Too Far Away?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
I live 80 miles from the nearest DMA, but I am considered a "Birmingham, AL" recipient.

I have an 811 and a TV with an integrated HD tuner. I just talked to a professional this week and he said that it would cost me up to $400 to put a massive antenna up and even then I probably wouldn't get my HD locals (they don't even show up on antennaweb.org).

So am I just screwed when it comes to getting network HD? Do they not do distant HD or anything like that?

Local cable company is a joke. I called about HD and they didn't even know what I was talking about. Thanks for the help.

general487 said:
I live 80 miles from the nearest DMA, but I am considered a "Birmingham, AL" recipient.

I have an 811 and a TV with an integrated HD tuner. I just talked to a professional this week and he said that it would cost me up to $400 to put a massive antenna up and even then I probably wouldn't get my HD locals (they don't even show up on antennaweb.org).

So am I just screwed when it comes to getting network HD? Do they not do distant HD or anything like that?

Local cable company is a joke. I called about HD and they didn't even know what I was talking about. Thanks for the help.

DMA's are funny things. Here in Oregon there are portions of Eastern Oregon 300 miles away that are technically in the Portland DMA. They are outside the Grade B contour so are eligible for distant networks. Dish hasn't released the network HD's to distant network subs as of yet but for the time being you're pretty much hosed. Does Dish provide you with Birmingham locals? You might still be able to get distant nets and possibly be positioned for HD distants if they ever released them.

Check on the Dish Network site to see if your address is eligible for distants.

Cheers,
Sam

General,

You may and it is a big may be able to get the cbs feed out of Columbus. Channel 4
I know a guy who is getting it on an 811 and he is north of Tupelo about the same distance you are from Columbus.

Where do I check to see if I am elgible for Distant Networks?

Dish gives me the Birmingham locals, but I know that they aren't going to do Birmingham in their HD LiL this year.

I already called about CBS-HD but I got the shaft. They said I wasn't elgible. I DON'T SEE WHY!!!!!!

I am 72 miles from the transmitter but I get perfect OTA with an antenna 35 feet in the air. It depends on your exact situaton but the only way to be sure is to try it, unfortunatly

general487 said:
Where do I check to see if I am elgible for Distant Networks?
Sign on to your account on the Dish Website
Go To "Add Programing"
Click On "Locals"
on your local page, you will find the links to apply for distant network waivers.
Applying is free and only takes a few seconds to complete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts