What do you think about Dish connection to Vonage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

oldraja

Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hello Gurus,

I have emailed Dish about the possibility of hooking up my 2 dual receivers 322G and 625DVR to the vonage VoIP phone service. I was wondering in particular not if it will just work, but also if I would be charge a 5.99 program access fee. Below is there reply. What do you think? Is there any way to still make sure that program access fee is not charged with Vonage even if you do have the 2 dual receivers that the customer rep mentioned? Any workaround? thanks..please see below for Dish's response:

"
Thank you for your email. Only some of our DISH Network receivers support VoIP telephone services. This issue is being researched and we hope to have a solution for our customers with other model receivers and broadband phone users in the near future.

When using VoIP instead of a land line, there are applications that you will not be able to take advantage of such as our interactive TV services, Customer Support Application, and Caller ID. Furthermore, you will not be able to use your remote control to order any Pay-Per-View events or movies. Pay per view can still be ordered online at DISH Network at no cost. You can also call 1-877-347-4778, but please note that a $1 transaction fee will be added to the price of the movie. Another consideration is, without a standard phone line, an additional $5.00 per month access fee will be applied to your account if you have one of our dual tuner receivers (models 322, 522, 625, 622, 722 and 942).

To ensure the receiver is set up for use with VoIP, please perform the following:

1. Press the Menu button

• Select System Setup

• Select Installation

• Select Phone Setup

2. Change the Outside Line option to Prefix Code.

3. Add the prefix *99.

4. If VoIP requires a filter on the phone line, make sure that is installed as well.

Also, your VoIP provider should set the service to the highest bandwidth setting and enable fax/modem enhancement features.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: DISH Network Customer Tech Portal

A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option. Chat Assistance

Thank you
"

so what do you think?

I have Vonage and everything works fine.

When using VoIP instead of a land line, there are applications that you will not be able to take advantage of such as our interactive TV services, Customer Support Application, and Caller ID. Furthermore, you will not be able to use your remote control to order any Pay-Per-View events or movies.
None of this is true.

I am not sure why you underlined everything, but it is hard on my eyes.

-SNT

Here's another testimonial that everything works. I had Vonage before I has Dish. Everything on every receiver I have had works, including the things the previous poster quoted that wouldn't work.

It also works with my burglar alarm. Faxes are iffy, though.

i've found that if you set vonage bandwidth to high. That helps the faxing. Also, if you can temporarily disconnect/shut down any other internet usage, that will help alot.

Wouldnt caller ID still work with vonage? Im seriously thinking of dropping my land land since I can now plug in my 722 into broadband and get rid of that stupid fee.