What Do You Think The Future Of FTA Will Be?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
More pics
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG

Reactions: Pepper and wvman
That's a nice dish. Looks like a commercial dish. In one picture, the pole looks off plumb, but in the other it doesn't. Could be an optical illusion due to the camera angle. I'd go after that one if I were you. Have you looked across the face of the dish to see if it mishapened? I'd bet breakfast it isn't. Wish there were still a lot of wire mesh dishes here. Too many scrap dealers in the area.

It’s not misshaped, but I don’t want/need a fiberglass dish.

Reactions: wvman
No room for it?

Yah. No room for it. I wanted to get a 10foot KTI but I realized I don’t have any room for it. So, this week I’m planning to go after this wineguard 7.5ft quadstar. The mesh is a little bent though.
Image1519138598.629827.jpg
Image1519138624.660646.jpg
Image1519138642.500108.jpg

Yah. No room for it. I wanted to get a 10foot KTI but I realized I don’t have any room for it. So, this week I’m planning to go after this wineguard 7.5ft quadstar. The mesh is a little bent though.View attachment 131452View attachment 131453View attachment 131454

The mesh is easily straightened. Nice dish, but the pole is up there. You could plant 2 or 3 more dishes if you take the pole. :) I know where there's a 7 1/2 foot Winegard on a pole about as high as that one, but it's free standing in the middle of a "Y" in a driveway about a mile from my house. it looks to be in great shape, mainly because no one can get near it. May have a little hail damage, but can't see it from the ground.

The mesh is easily straightened. Nice dish, but the pole is up there. You could plant 2 or 3 more dishes if you take the pole. :) I know where there's a 7 1/2 foot Winegard on a pole about as high as that one, but it's free standing in the middle of a "Y" in a driveway about a mile from my house. it looks to be in great shape, mainly because no one can get near it. May have a little hail damage, but can't see it from the ground.

I can’t take the pole. Wife’s really happy to climb on a roof with me.

My wife was a climber too. She's been on a lot of roofs with me 30 years ago. I was surprised that she wasn't afraid to climb. It's nice to have a helper. Be careful, I'd hate to hear one of you fell. :(

I don’t think the dish is heavy. I’ve looked at the manual and the shipping weight is only 51lbs. I think we can pick it up off the pole, disassemble it on the roof and lower it down from the roof panel by panel using a rope.

I don’t think the dish is heavy. I’ve looked at the manual and the shipping weight is only 51lbs. I think we can pick it up off the pole, disassemble it on the roof and lower it down from the roof panel by panel using a rope.

They're not heavy, but a little difficult to handle, especially if there's a wind kicking around. In the "OLD" days, I could pick up and 10 footer and set it on the pole by myself, but those days are long gone. At 63, I have a balance problem now and I wouldn't attempt to climb on a roof today. I'm not very stable these days. I tried to pick up a 7-1/2 foot Unimesh and set it on a pole and failed miserably. I couldn't get it half way up the pole.

It's hell getting old. :)

Haven't had my setup on in probably 3 years but I know back in the day I spent plenty lol. Got a 6 foot fixed and a 8 foot I got from Sadoun when they were in Columbus Ohio. The parts kept getting harder to find...decent ones anyway. Nobody seemed to keep much in stock. Still have a Micro Hd hooked to the 8 footer and a spare Micro for backup. Guess it all still works. Too much stuff ended up scrambled or gone and I got tired of freezing outside in the winter adjusting it all

So, I went there today to “get” the wineguard quadstar 7.5ft off the roof. And I couldn’t do it. I got really scared and basically abandoned it. If anyone wants it, PM me and I’ll give you the address. I’m just sad . It’s on a 12 foot pole.

So, I went there today to “get” the wineguard quadstar 7.5ft off the roof. And I couldn’t do it. I got really scared and basically abandoned it. If anyone wants it, PM me and I’ll give you the address. I’m just sad . It’s on a 12 foot pole.

I wondered how it was going to go. It's a 3 person job when your working on a roof. If you could get the 4 bolts out that hold the reflector to the mount, it could be taken down in 2 pieces. It gets scary when your not standing on the ground. Better to abandon it than get someone hurt. :(

I wondered how it was going to go. It's a 3 person job when your working on a roof. If you could get the 4 bolts out that hold the reflector to the mount, it could be taken down in 2 pieces. It gets scary when your not standing on the ground. Better to abandon it than get someone hurt. :(
I went up there, tried to undo the bolts, lost my balance and gave up.

Too bad! Maybe a harness with a safety line will make you feel more secure? Might even talk to a friend in construction to see if they would lend a hand for lunch or a beverage.

• If you want to try again, loosen and back out the the 4 bolts securing the mount to the pole.
  • Cut the wires at the roof line and any nylon ties securing the cables to the pole.
  • Rotate the dish on the pole to the East so the edges can be grabbed by one person standing on each side.
  • Lift the mount off the top of the pole and lay the dish on it's back on the roof.
  • Tie a heavy rope to the top of the mount and secure it along the top edge with nylon ties or bailing wire. This will keep the dish stable as it is being lowered.
  • Tie a light rope to the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions along the bottom edge of the reflector. This will allow the person on the ground to keep the dish from banging against the wall as the person on the roof lowers it.

You can do it!!! :biggrin

Too bad! Maybe a harness with a safety line will make you feel more secure? Might even talk to a friend in construction to see if they would lend a hand for lunch or a beverage.

• If you want to try again, loosen and back out the the 4 bolts securing the mount to the pole.
  • Cut the wires at the roof line and any nylon ties securing the cables to the pole.
  • Rotate the dish on the pole to the East so the edges can be grabbed by one person standing on each side.
  • Lift the mount off the top of the pole and lay the dish on it's back on the roof.
  • Tie a heavy rope to the top of the mount and secure it along the top edge with nylon ties or bailing wire. This will keep the dish stable as it is being lowered.
  • Tie a light rope to the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions along the bottom edge of the reflector. This will allow the person on the ground to keep the dish from banging against the wall as the person on the roof lowers it.

I cheat on dishes like this. I have a brother inlaw that works for a sign company. When I need one of these taken down, I call him and he brings out the boom truck. :biggrin

Thanks Titanium, but I can’t. I don’t feel it’s worth the risk. I’ll continue looking, and I’ll probably find a better dish ground mounted.

I cheat on dishes like this. I have a brother inlaw that works for a sign company. When I need one of these taken down, I call him and he brings out the boom truck. :biggrin

Same here. It has been years since I have roped up/down a dish. Call the local boom truck operator and they flex schedule me after a truss or HVAC job and the cost is much less! The longest job probably took them 30 minutes (because they lifted a fully loaded non-pen, pad and dish) from mount to trailer or trailer to mount. and they have the required liability insurance! :biggrin

Here is a lift they did several years ago to put the 10' on the shop.

Same here. It has been years since I have roped up/down a dish. Call the local boom truck operator and they flex schedule me after a truss or HVAC job and the cost is much less! The longest job probably took them 30 minutes (because they lifted a fully loaded non-pen, pad and dish) from mount to trailer or trailer to mount. and they have the required liability insurance! :biggrin

Here is a lift they did several years ago to put the 10' on the shop.

I lucked into a dish the other day. I was on my way back to town on the interstate, glanced over and saw an offset dish sitting on the ground in front of a business that recently moved out. I got off and drove over and looked at it. It's a commercial dish that measured 1.5 meters across. I know the guy who owns the building so I called him. He actually took it off the roof which is where I remembered seeing it earlier.

I called him and he said come and get it. He's going to meet me there Saturday morning and use his forklift to put it on the back of my flatbed pickup, roof mount and all, and it's mine. Another play toy. I'll measure the LNBF mount and see what size it is and when I get ready, I'll get a H/V LNBF from you and see what I can pick up. Should work great for most Ku channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts