What does "Analog Type" means in the HDTV setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
What does "Analog Type" means in the HDTV Setup?

It defauls to "Off-Air" but I'm not sure this is the best option. (Actually I don't even know what it means!)

Do you have an "off air" antenna on your roof, or do you have a cable hook up? There are three types of signal cable companies can send out. This is set if you want to integrate the rf output to match the type of signal you may have sent throughout your house. All you would have to do is use a standard splitter in reverse (as a combiner) to add the rf out to the rest of your tv's.

why would they stick that in hdtv setup though? I thought the option you mention about matching to your system with rf output is in the modulator setup.

Hmm, I'm still confused, but since I'm using an Off-Air antenna ONLY for the receiver the antenna is connected to, I'm assuming I want to select Off-Air.

However I agree that this is a horrible place for this option. What about people who don't have HDTV's? Can they not select the "Analog Type" they have?

What I was saying is that I think the hdtv setup screen refers to the antenna input for the 622... I think the modulator out has its own cable/off air setting.

It's my understanding however, that the 622 only records digital off air stations, so why there would be a cable setting I have no idea.

Anyone else wanna give a shot at this?

You are refering to the Off Air Module.

But why is it listed as "ANALOG TYPE" and then the choices of:
- Off
- Cable
- HRC
- IRC
After-all, the 622 only has a Digital Tuner.:confused:

I believe on another post awhile back someone said the 622 will pick up digital cable signals using QAM. Analog cable systems sometimes would offset their signals and you would have to set your cable ready TV to either HRC or IRC. However, I don't know much about QAM and don't know if QAM or Digital cable systems uses HRC & IRC or not.

Maybe the basic software is being used on more than one receiver, and this applies to another receiver, but not the 622. :eureka?

I wonder what Receiver the OP is using.:)

The receiver (probably) allows you to "pass through" analog OTA signals or cable (unscrambled) signals (I've never tried it). The manual states "not all off-air broadcasts can be recorded" and I'm positive they mean analog signals, whether that's analog OTA or analog cable. It further says you can add them to your guide but you'll need to "name" them as the receiver doesn't know that channel "X" is NBC or "Y" is ABC and so on. That information is NOT in the stream to be read by the receiver either.

I believe on another post awhile back someone said the 622 will pick up digital cable signals using QAM.

I wish it would, but as far as I know it doesn't. I can't get behind my receiver right now to try it, so if somebody does know for sure that it does, please let me know!

No residential Dish receivers decode QAM. Someone asked for the ability to do this on the last Tech Chat, in fact. I imagine this would have very little appeal to the majority of Dish customers though...

That depends... Do the majority of Dish customers have either OTA reception of HD channels or HD locals from Dish?

QAM is for cable, not OTA.

That was my point. If people don't have OTA reception of their "local" HD channels, and Dish doesn't carry them, then it would be nice to be able to receive them from basic cable with the 622 so as to be able to record them.

jmel said:
so uh... whats it for then?

Nobody knows. I think it's leftover code they forgot to take out or something, but I'm not sure, because I think the coax connector on the back of the 622 also says "antenna / cable"!

There were and may still be some cable providers providing atsc over this type of analog connection. For them the choice of these three type of cable connections means something.

Just a thought here..... since it's talking about the HD set up........ Wouldn't "analog" refer to an analog type 4:3 television versus a "digital" 16:9? I have an "analog" 4:3 that compresses the picture into a 16:9 format when the input signal is 720p or 1080i. (Sony KV-40XBR800) I have a Vip211... and I think that's what it called my TV type in the set up.

But it says INPUT. My best guess is that somebody at Dish is brain-dead.

I think Hall is on the right track. THe HDTV setup is for specifying what kind of input you are plugging into the back of your 622. you can attach an off-air antenna for locals in HD or run a connection form your lcoal cable provider. The EPG will incorporate whatever signal it picks up and display it in your on screen guide. so if you wanted to pay for cable and dish netork you could run the cable thorugh your dish receiver

It is for setting the output type of the agile modulator, whether you match it to OTA channel frequencies or to cable frequencies and the various types of cable that you might receive.

The 622's tuner can only recognise ATSC signals, no analog OTA, no ntsc cable, not QAM cable. The epg is solely through the satellite download, nothing OTA but to locate channels at setup.

All I know is it ROYALLY screwed me up when I was trying to install an OTA for locals. I scanned many times, repositioned the stupid antenna many times, and it would never find a single channel. Turns out the setting under discussion wasn't on the right selection. I never in my wildest dreams thought to look under "HDTV Setup" for OTA settings, when they should have these options under the "Scan for Locals" portion. But whatever. Live and learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)