What does CD mean after a station's call sign?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Hello all,

Great OTA posts. Lotsa' good info. Just did a channel scan and found WPHY-CD, channel 25.1 coming in. This station serves Central NJ as per Wikepedia. What does the "CD" mean? Never heard of that. Thanks all!

Sponge

CD means its a class A low powered station. In a nutshell it has more protection than a low powered station (LP analog LD digital). They also have to be digital now (low powered stations/translators can still be analog right now)

Unlike traditional LPTV stations, class-A stations were given primary status during the transition to digital television (DTV), meaning that a full-service television station could not displace a class A LPTV station from its broadcast frequency (TV channel), except in rare cases. In contrast, traditional LPTV stations often found their frequencies assigned to full-service DTV operations, forcing them to relocate to another frequency. This was especially true in large cities, where available broadcast spectrum was scarce, and LPTV stations found themselves forced to cease operations due to no suitable spectrum

In exchange for the added broadcast protections, class-A stations are required to be more responsible in covering the community they serve. Class-A stations must:

Broadcast a minimum of 18 hours per day
Broadcast an average of at least three hours per week of programming produced within the media market area served by the station
Be in compliance with the Commission's requirements for both LPTV stations and full-power television stations
Broadcast on a core frequency (channels 2 - 51)
Broadcast the minimum required amount of Children's "E/I" core programming
Be capable of airing Emergency Alert System broadcasts when/if the need arises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_A_television_service

Reactions: spongella
Hello all,

Great OTA posts. Lotsa' good info. Just did a channel scan and found WPHY-CD, channel 25.1 coming in. This station serves Central NJ as per Wikepedia. What does the "CD" mean? Never heard of that. Thanks all!

Sponge

From the Wikipedia. ..

Class-A stations (US) (suffix: -CA or *-CD for digital class A)

: VHF (2-13): 3 kW analog video; *3 kW digital*
UHF (14-69): 150 kW analog video; *15 kW digital*
Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: spongella
Thanks guys I knew I'd find the answer right here on satelliteguys.us. It is the epicenter of information due to the vast experience and knowledge of the forum members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)