What does DISH's Hopper Network connection do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Electrojim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Brea, CA
We had DISH's VIP-type receiver for nearly 20 years, and now have a Hopper 3. The installer got it hooked to our Wi-Fi, although we never order movies or pay-as-you-go premium programming. The Guide and firmware updates evidently download via the satellite, so is there a need to maintain that network connection?

Well, if you have unlimited Internet service, take advantage of VOD( video on demand). Not all are fee based. Also , Netflix and Amazon Prime could be streamed thru hopper. And just like NYDutch mentioned, there are many apps that stream.

Well, if you have unlimited Internet service, take advantage of VOD( video on demand). Not all are fee based. Also , Netflix and Amazon Prime could be streamed thru hopper. And just like NYDutch mentioned, there are many apps that stream.
Any reason to suspect that DISH collects viewing habits, either for internal 'programming optimization' or to sell info to third parties? I'm aware that some cable boxes phone-home with every channel change.

Not to mention, it's a metric, one of many that determine base pay and bonuses, depending on the company/office. Techs are required and "graded" on connecting Hoppers to the internet, amongst other things

The Internet connection is also used by the built in apps and on-demand programming.
Not to mention that the internet connection is also used for at least some of the Application Software downloads, to update those apps.

Any reason to suspect that DISH collects viewing habits...
When my sister was still using a Hopper Duo, she left it disconnected from the internet, for precisely that reason. At some point, her Hopper Duo stopped updating the Application Software, even though it was obviously still getting the regular software downloads from the satellite. Since some of the apps do not require an internet connection (such as the Multi-View apps) yet the app updates do require an internet connection, we decided that it was probably best to just leave the Hopper Duo connected to the internet all of the time, just to make sure that all of the apps get updated properly. Application Software updates resumed again, as soon as the internet was connected.

I would bet everything i have that viewing habits among other info are collected and sold.
You don't have to bet, just read the Privacy Policy:
"C. Viewership
When you or someone in your household watches a video program, whether using your set-top box or the DISH Anywhere® App, we may collect a record of your viewing activity. This applies to live television programming as well as video on demand, pay per view, and DVR services."

You can opt out of at least some of this information collection and sharing, though:
"D. Other Choices Concerning the Use and Disclosure of Your Information
You also may choose to limit certain collection or disclosure of your information as follows:
You may limit our collection of viewer measurement data from your set-top box by contacting us in writing at the mailing address listed in the contact section below.
In any written request to DISH, be sure to include your name, address, telephone number, and your DISH account number. The written request should be signed by the person who is identified in our billing records as the subscriber. If you have a joint account, a request by one party will apply to the entire account. If you have multiple accounts, your notice must separately identify each account covered by the request."

The mailing address is below:
"DISH Network L.L.C.
Attn: PRIVACY
P.O. Box 6655
Englewood, CO 80155-6655"

As I said before, everything that can be monetized is monetized at Dish. How do you think the networks get which programs you view now or later so they can decide which shows are popular or should be discountinued?

Ever notice the obvious (Trending Now) line when you go to the Home Tab (Just hit Home once). How do you think they get the Trending shows?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
As I said before, everything that can be monetized is monetized at Dish. How do you think the networks get which programs you view now or later so they can decide which shows are popular or should be discountinued?

Ever notice the obvious (Trending Now) line when you go to the Home Tab (Just hit Home once). How do you think they get the Trending shows?
I might add that it isn't just DISH, it is every business out there. Monetizing is part of keeping the lights on.

If all they get from me is my sex,my age group, where I live and what I watch I care less. There is nothing we can do about it. If my full name, address and my email are obtained without my knowledge or approval, that is admittedly very upsetting.
Heck, I check some new gadget (sold at Amazon) at web sites, I get constant push to learn more or buy the same or similiar items when I visit Amazon's web site! Everything is connected. Life goes on.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I might add that it isn't just DISH, it is every business out there. Monetizing is part of keeping the lights on.
:spy
theyre-not-going-b04965258c.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts