what does DNS stand for and...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
DNS stands for Distant Network Service.

My guess is the guys in DirecTV vans are contractors for DirecTV and the other guys are independent contractors.

BTW, this forum is for CE Discussion, hence the forum title. :)

Last edited:
Well if its for actual techs you would think that they wouldnt have to guess what the difference would be. :)
The CE forum is devoted to end-users who are participating in software testing for modern DIRECTV receivers.

Most installers don't even know about the CE program.

I'd suggest that future queries like this be posted in the DIRECTV General Forum (where it has apparently been moved).

While we're on the subject, not all DIRECTV emblazoned vans are operated by DIRECTV. Many of them are subcontractors as well.

My guess is the guys in DirecTV vans are contractors for DirecTV and the other guys are independent contractors.

Actually those in DirecTv vans are actual DirecTv employees like me, those in the white van or trucks are the contractors. The difference is that most contractors are paid by the job, and DirecTv employees are hourly. Contracters will charge you for any work they do, and DirecTv employees don't charge for anything they do, what DirecTv quotes you over the phone is what you pay. If I have to wall fish 12 lines for your 6 HD/DVR's on an 18" install, I do not charge the $200+ that a contractor would normally charge you for it.

With DNS it is for those of us like me who do not have locals available in my area, and can not get them via an Off-Air Antenna. We apply for a wavier for them, and wait up to 45 days to see if the network can grant them, generally they require you to be more than 40-50 miles from a network tower to be granted. The DNS feeds are from NY and LA.

As far as contractors having DirecTv on their vans they are limited on the size of the vinyl sticker on the van. But the best way to tell from what I hear is to look and see if on the back it says "Now Hiring", as the contractor vans don't have that, I do not know for sure if that is true or not, if someone could confirm this please do so, as there are no contractors in the area my warehouse services anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)