What does it cost to broadcast to satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluebeard123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Truckee, CA
This may be the wrong forum to ask, but I thought I'd try. A friend of mine has a small chain of tv stations in California and Nevada and also broadcasts news on the internet: http://aun-tv.com ..... Anyway, i was telling him about FTA and we were wondering what it would cost for him to broadcast on a FTA satellite. Anyone have any idea? Is it big bucks, or can it be done on a budget? He is a great investigative reporter and it would be a great opportunity to get his message out.

Generalized: Depends on if you want to be on a popular satellite, be easy to receive and use smaller dishes or smaller footprints or on a less popular satellite and have requirement for bigger dishes and larger footprints (geographical coverage).

On a less popular satellite, a typical standard resolution channel would cost 7-8k per month. On a more popular satellite, 12-15k. HD of decent quality 12-14k on less popular 20-24k on more popular.

If not 24/7, many full-time services accept paid content or partners to offset their cost. There are also occasional use play out services sold by the hour, day, etc.

probably too rich for his blood right now. Maybe when he gets a better income stream happening- I was thinking it would be great way to get his info out.

You could either contact the sales department of an uplinker that leases transponder space (example RR Sat, Pittsburg Communications, etc.) or the satellite owner (SES, Intelsat, etc.) of a target satellite . You should have an idea before contacting them of the target coverage and requirement for the downlink. For example direct to home on KU or targeting cable company or sub channels with C-band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)