What does it do when updating?

menelfloss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I have always wondered why the dvr's need to update themselves daily through the phone connection. Can't they get stuff over the sat connection?

Not to stir up any conspiracy theories or anything, but,... does anybody know if they are pulling down TV channel viewing data or any demographics like that?

Always wondered,
Mike

I think it send PPV purchase history, and it proves that the receiver is at the location you say it is at (They can use multiple ways to detect this).

The TV Guide and software updates comes from the satellite data stream.

I have always wondered why the dvr's need to update themselves daily through the phone connection. Can't they get stuff over the sat connection?

Not to stir up any conspiracy theories or anything, but,... does anybody know if they are pulling down TV channel viewing data or any demographics like that?

Always wondered,
Mike

The updates are for TV schedules, software updates, and messages. You can pay extra to have it delivered via satellite. Or you can hook up to a LAN and receive the update via Internet.

The updates are for TV schedules, software updates, and messages. You can pay extra to have it delivered via satellite. Or you can hook up to a LAN and receive the update via Internet.

Thats 100% total BS. Dont believe what dish puts out there. Only dual tuners are charged a fee for not being connect so how do you figure single tuners get updates then?????

All guide and software downloads come via sat.

The phone connection is used for:
1. Because dish can get $5 for not having it connected, in reality this is to prevent account stacking. The audit department checks if you have multiple receivers on the account from different phone numbers.

2. To order and send PPV histories.

3. Send receiver health infomation back to dishas well as lnb problems. They may use this to inform of any drift issues that are going on.

4. Display Caller ID notification.

None of the things you mentioned, TV schedules, software updates, and messages, come via a LAN/Internet connection. Currently, only "On Demand/PPV" items available via "DishOnline" use the internet connection.

And you don't "pay extra" having them come via the satellite feed. That's the default method.

even if there was a "consipiracy theory" about using the phonelines to know what tv and how much you watch, who cares. i mean, i went to outback steak house last night, and i had to let them know what i wanted to eat. was my privacy invaded? heck, if they dont keep records, i wish they would. would let them know what channels are really in demand and are watched. like for instance, they might notice a lot of people watch usa and sci fi, and that may get the ball rolling on getting it to us in hd! might also let them know that "rave" is the only channel most people enjoy in the voom network too lol. just my opinion.

Yup,
I have mine connected and sometimes wake up to the fan going on at 3am (the time I have set for updates). I really don't care who knows what I watch, as long as I do not get advertising "Pushed" at me especially through other media.
Mike

I thought it was known fact that it sends back what you watch?
They don't hide that fact, actually. The only clause is that they don't (or are not supposed to) tie what *you* watch with their data. They have their own built-in "Nielsen" system, for sure ! In fact, I don't doubt for a second that when a channel demands "too much", Dish pulls out those numbers.

I for one hope they do monitor what I watch. Case in point, I loved Jericho and set it up to DVR every Tuesday as I was in a meeting at the same time it is on. I would definitely what information like that sent to the networks as in Jericho's case, it was just axed. To me, it is almost like voting on what to keep on the air.

I also welcome them "monitoring" what I watch. Pull all the crap channels that I don't watch please!

I for one hope they do monitor what I watch. Case in point, I loved Jericho and set it up to DVR every Tuesday as I was in a meeting at the same time it is on. I would definitely what information like that sent to the networks as in Jericho's case, it was just axed. To me, it is almost like voting on what to keep on the air.

I'm going to miss that show. My wife read somewhere, though, that it could be picked up by SciFi for new shows (not just the reruns they're showing now) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)