what does plumb mean????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Plumb means vertically level on all sides. Have a look at Sadouns site and it gives instruction on how to make a sat mast plumb.

It is convenient to have a level with a magnetic base too.

You can't check for plumb by just sitting the level on the top of the mast. Your dish does not bear on the top of the mast. Instead, like Iceberg stated, you need to check for level on all four sides. If your mast isn't cut straight, it can read level across the top, but it can be out of plumb.

If you get it plumb to begin with, it will make your life MUCH easier.

Plumb and level are opposites. Plumb(as in plumb bob) defines a line in the vertical plane, level (as in water was ankle level) defines a line in a horizontal plane. However I think the confusion arises because you can use a level to plumb an object because most have a plumb bubble in one end.
There.....I did my LEVEL best to explain, and now I'm PLUMB tuckered out!

Last edited:
Here is a picture if that would clarify things :D

Attachments

• AngFin.JPG
    AngFin.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 459
starman345 said:
Plumb and level are opposites. Plumb(as in plumb bob) defines a line in the vertical plane, level (as in water was ankle level) defines a line in a horizontal plane. However I think the confusion arises because you can use a level to plumb an object because most have a plumb bubble in one end.
There.....I did my LEVEL best to explain, and now I'm PLUMB tuckered out!

RONTGLMAO... That was really good Starman!!! I am going to take those words, and Frame them, for my Students...

It is convenient to have a level with a magnetic base too.

If you do use a level with a magnetic base or anything else with any kind of magnet in it, be absolutely sure that whenever you bring out your compass and start trying to set your azimuth these objects are far far away. This may sound obvious but magnets will affect compass readings from a good distance away.

the term plumb literally means a piece of lead hung from a string. Notice the periodic table shows lead as Pb, which is derived from latin / french plumbum, meaning lead. Boring fact of the day if you didn't already know the origin of plum, or the plum-bob which is a tool hung from a string to find a verticle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)