What does "standard professional installation for 4 tvs" include?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

horseflesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
I'm considering upgrading to a HD receiver... now that I have a renter I can use as a new customer! (I would complain here about how a 10 year trouble-free customer should get better treatment but we've heard it all before.)

I would only have a TV in 2 rooms. If Dish offers to install up to 4 TVs, will they run line to a room even if I don't have a receiver in it? I mean, if I can get the house wired for 4 rooms, I might as well, even if I don't want to use them today! I might want to move a TV or buy another one.

And what does "professional" installation mean, anyway? Are they going to run cables across the floor, or will I get a nice jack in the wall... or does it depend on the installer the Fates choose for me?

(My current install was very easy, so I can't guess what they'd do if things were more challenging.)

Thanks!

In most cases you aren't going to get an installer to wall fish aka putting the wires in your walls. Most cases they will bring the wire up through the floor. Or through the outside wall.

Yes we will put wires in rooms where there are no TVs. Happens all the time. No you shouldn't have wires running over youre floor, if you do you got a hac installer.

You are gonna be hard pressed to find an installer to wire your house for 4 rooms when he is only getting paid to do 2. The free installation is for UP TO 4 rooms, but only if you order 4 rooms. If you order one 622 receiver you will get 2 rooms wired. Or you could work out an extra charge with the installer when he arrives.

The installer will still run wire to 4 rooms as long as the work order calls for a 622 and 322.

Only an idiot would do that. I walked away from all jobs that called for 4 rooms that did not have 4 tv's. Even if they were service calls. Companies are too chargeback happy these days. I'd rather not do it to begin with than end up getting screwed because the customer got a new TV and can't figure out how to hook it up, and I don't see how it is my responsiblity to go back out for free 6 months later to do it for them for free, when gas is $3/gal.

G/L

Lots of installers will do it, though. They are too stupid to see that it will bite them in the ass sooner or later.

I figured the installer would be able to bill Dish for the number of rooms and not be tied entirely to the work order.

For example, I own a 311. If I got a 622 as a new customer deal, will the installer refuse to wire a third room for my good ol' 311 because it isn't a new purchase?

I guess the answer is, "it depends on the installer."

Jebus, I never said anything about making an installer work for free.

I assume that installers are paid by Dish for their work, and there is a list of specific things that they can do for a new customer install and get paid for.

I just want to know what's on that list. Specifically, can I get a room wired for future use, or if not, will they wire a room that has an existing customer-owned tuner.

If the answer varies by installer, that's unfortunate but important to know.

Most installers now will not wire a room without a tv in it. Doing this opens up the installer to the day you put a tv in the room and cant figure out why your not seeing pamela anderson jiggling as she runs down the beach and you call up to dish and give them hell for it. Make sure that you have a tv at each location and not a tv that you can pull around to each room because as I have learned many years ago you the customer will only remember my saying "hello" and " have a nice day" regardless of how much time is spent showing you how to use the system and what tv has to be on what channel.

Professional installation means that the installer is there to do a survey of the site to asess the best possible location to mount the dish, run the coax to allow for the shortest possible distance from the dish to the receiver(s), the best routing of the coax, the point of entry for the amount of coax required, a viable ground source, and the routing of the coax. Professional installation also includes coax up to 120ft of coax, one exterior wall penetration, one interior wall penetration ( I have never seen anyone enforce this ), hooking up the IRD/UHF device to one tv and one vcr but it does not cover dvd players and home theater equipment. Professional installation also includes all equipment required for the completion of an a standard install including the dish(s), mounts ( wether standard roof/wall, flat roof or ground mount ) switch(s).

Pole mounts are no charge as is the first 50ft of line burial, attic work and crawl space work are also free of charge and wall fishing is free of charge and considered part of the professional standard installation within the last 4 years.

Pole mounts are no charge as is the first 50ft of line burial, attic work and crawl space work are also free of charge and wall fishing is free of charge and considered part of the professional standard installation within the last 4 years.

Uhhh...I declare a major point of contention with the wall fish statement. Show me where it states it's free. Depending on the retailer, DNS office, and/or RSP that is custom work, and as such is paid as such.

Most installers now will not wire a room without a tv in it. Doing this opens up the installer to the day you put a tv in the room and cant figure out why your not seeing pamela anderson jiggling as she runs down the beach and you call up to dish and give them hell for it. Make sure that you have a tv at each location and not a tv that you can pull around to each room because as I have learned many years ago you the customer will only remember my saying "hello" and " have a nice day" regardless of how much time is spent showing you how to use the system and what tv has to be on what channel.

Professional installation means that the installer is there to do a survey of the site to asess the best possible location to mount the dish, run the coax to allow for the shortest possible distance from the dish to the receiver(s), the best routing of the coax, the point of entry for the amount of coax required, a viable ground source, and the routing of the coax. Professional installation also includes coax up to 120ft of coax, one exterior wall penetration, one interior wall penetration ( I have never seen anyone enforce this ), hooking up the IRD/UHF device to one tv and one vcr but it does not cover dvd players and home theater equipment. Professional installation also includes all equipment required for the completion of an a standard install including the dish(s), mounts ( wether standard roof/wall, flat roof or ground mount ) switch(s).

Been there, done that. No Tv there and then the customer expects a Free service call when they can't figure out how to make it work on their own, or program the remote to control the volume on the TV.

You can make the customer sign off all you want, but they will still call and say you didn't do your Job right!

I did a dish mover once where the customer had absolutely NO tv's in the house. Actually the house was still being renovated and the customer had yet to move in. I was able to wire the house before any of the drywall was put up. They had a 625 and a 322, both with seperators attached to them. I could only assume they had a dpp twin at their previous install, and so the receivers would (hopefully) work fine without a check switch. I labeled all the lines and gave the customer my number in case they had any problems. This was about 3 months ago and I never heard from them or got a charge back...

Uhhh...I declare a major point of contention with the wall fish statement. Show me where it states it's free. Depending on the retailer, DNS office, and/or RSP that is custom work, and as such is paid as such.
Call corporate, you can charge for it but the customer gets reimbursed for it.

This was about 3 months ago and I never heard from them or got a charge back...
The house probably isnt finished if it was still in a skeletal stage, give it another 2 - 3 months time specialy if its a large house or they are having custom work done, then again they may have already called and had someone else out to fix the problem if there is one.

If you order a 2 room system and want the house wired for 4, be prepared to slip the installer some extra cash depending on what needs done.

The installer should do what the agreement says which is wire 4 rooms. That IS what he is being paid to do. ANd if he doesnt feel he is paid enough he should hit the road and find a different job. Otherwise he is cheating the customer. If it were me and he refused to do the work I would be on the phone immediately telling the satellite company about their subcontractor who refuses to honor the agreement.

Last edited:
If you read my last post carefully you would have noticed where it states the customer orders a 2 room system but wants the house wired for 4 rooms. Thats why I stated to slip the installer some cash if the customer expects 2 more rooms to be wired up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)