What does this mean???

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
When I turn on the TV and the receiver I get this message...

ForumRunner_20140424_200309.png

What does this mean and is it something that can be fixed ???

Thanks in advance

It means that you are not using the HDMI cable, but the component output of your receiver. The channel can specify that it is HDMI only.

Is this a bad thing ??? All I did was plug in the hdmi cable from the joey to the tv

It is not a bad thing. HDMI with copy protect prevents recording of the show. This is just copy protection that the channel/event provider has demanded that Dish turn on.

If you are using an HDMI cable, reseating the cable may fix the problem. If you are using a computer monitor it might not have the copy protect, but TVs with HDMI connections should have the copy protection.

If I remove it from the hdmi/dtv slot and underneath that slot it says component in and move it to hdmi 3 I don't get the message...but if it's not a big deal I may just keep it in hdmi 3 slot

So if I keep it in the regular slot it is in when the message pops up will that mess up my picture or viewing of the tv ???

See if you can disable HDMI-CEC at that joey location. It'll be in the joey menu, under settings. Maybe try disabling that at the hopper also.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

HDCP is copy protection. When you plug in an HDMI cable to your TV, the receiver and TV 'talk' to each other (this is called handshaking). Part of the handshaking process determines if your TV supports copy protection. If your TV does not support copy protection, then the receiver is not allowed to send an HD signal over the HDMI cable to your TV.

Most modern TVs support HDCP copy protection, but sometimes there is incompatibility between the receiver and the TV. As others have said, many times the problem can be fixed by using a different HDMI cable, or by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable. If it is working correctly with input 3 on your TV then you can just leave it that way.

Is it an old HDMI cable ?

Also, as mentioned about the "handshake" between the two devices, sometimes one or the other may be stubborn. As part of the re-seating that many have suggested, go a step further and unplug the power to both devices (not just turn them 'off'), re-seat the HDMI cable, then power them back on.

I get this message occasionally. I have a wireless HDMI switch that beams the output across my bedroom to the TV. Sometimes when I switch sources back to the Hopper, it gets this message. Usually just turning off the TV and back on fixes it. If not, putting the Hopper in standby will do the trick. I’ve never had to actually get up, god forbid!

I'm assuming this is one of the Disney Network of channels. This has been popping up a lot lately. I've seen multiple people talk about it on here and I've had a couple different customers have it happen to them just this week.

I'm assuming this is one of the Disney Network of channels. This has been popping up a lot lately. I've seen multiple people talk about it on here and I've had a couple different customers have it happen to them just this week.

I wonder if this was something Dish had to agree to turn on for Disney channels with the new contract?

It is not a bad thing. HDMI with copy protect prevents recording of the show. This is just copy protection that the channel/event provider has demanded that Dish turn on

How is that not a bad thing? First, you have the right to record TV. Second, the government of a free country shouldn't be making laws supporting sociopathic delusional behavior.

How is that not a bad thing? First, you have the right to record TV. Second, the government of a free country shouldn't be making laws supporting sociopathic delusional behavior.

Actually you do not have a right to record. It is just considered to be fair use if you manage to make a recording for private use.

There's an ESPN channel bug on the screen. Maybe that's the channel he *was* on before trying to tune to a different one though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I wonder if this was something Dish had to agree to turn on for Disney channels with the new contract?

Effective Wednesday, April 16, 2014 by 5pm ET, HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) will be added to the below stations:
StationCall LettersChannel
ABC FamilyABCF180
Disney EastDISE172
Disney WestDISW173
Disney XDDISXD174
Disney JuniorDISJR168
ESPNESPN140
ESPN2ESPN2144
ESPN NewsESNWS142
ESPNUESPNU141
ESPN DeportesESPND854
ESPN ClassicESPCL143

I was just typing it happened on espn and disney jr...I will keep it in hdmi 3 slot to see what happens I'm just curious now...I still get hd feed when the message popped up...

So what does this mean for me now if I keep seeing the message ??? I can't record anything on those channels ???

Last edited:
I was just typing it happened on espn and disney jr...I will keep it in hdmi 3 slot to see what happens I'm just curious now...I still get hd feed when the message popped up...

So what does this mean for me now if I keep seeing the message ??? I can't record anything on those channels ???

You should be able to record on a Dish DVR. By blocking the component outputs of the receiver, it prevents you from recording the analog HD signal using various devices like http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html to a PC and putting it on the internet.

Thanks to Zack for verifying that indeed these Disney channels now require HDCP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)