What does this mean???

You say "you need HDMI cable connected". Meanwhile, i experienced exactly opposite. Customer had 612 connected with HDMI and mirror TV connected to coax output. HBO channels would give him this message on mirror Tv unless main TV (HDMI connected) was on. Solution was to replace HDMI with component+optical.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is where we are seeing the issues. It's happening to people who have a receiver outputting to two devices. Unhook the one and it may take care of it or swap out the HDMI cable with Component cables.

Got the message this morning on a TV with a joey connected via HDMI. The TV was on ESPN last night. I was able to down & up arrow back to ESPN without a problem.

That message doesn't mean he needs an hdmi cable, it means he's using one. His tv isn't hdcp compliant or if using a switch or splitter that could be causing it. Remove hdmi and use component and the issue goes away. What tv make model and year manufactured?

Supposedly if the channel demands HDCP the component outputs should be limited to 480p or disabled. I do not know if Dish receivers are doing this though. What good does HDCP on HDMI do if the components put out full HD?

It doesn't do anything and the idea is that the broadcaster doesn't care (at least as much) about a non-digital signal (component is analog) and at that lower resolution. Something tells me the receiver continues to output in either 720p or 1080i based on the setting.

I do not have a Dish subscription to test it out with. Would need someone with 2 TVs, hook one up with HDMI and one with component, set the receiver to 1080i and tune to one of the Disney channels to see what happens. Do the component blank out, do they go low res, or do they still do 1080i? Then we will know how much lip service is being paid to the intent of HDCP...

You could do it with one TV, couldn't you ? Just flip between inputs....

The fact that Dish's receivers up-convert (or down-convert) everything kind of makes it a moot point though, I think. It wouldn't do any good to hit "Info" on the TV's remote to see what kind of details it gives you in that case either.

You could do it with one TV, couldn't you ? Just flip between inputs....

The fact that Dish's receivers up-convert (or down-convert) everything kind of makes it a moot point though, I think. It wouldn't do any good to hit "Info" on the TV's remote to see what kind of details it gives you in that case either.

My TVs have an info banner on them that shows the resolution.

I do not have a Dish subscription to test it out with. Would need someone with 2 TVs, hook one up with HDMI and one with component, set the receiver to 1080i and tune to one of the Disney channels to see what happens. Do the component blank out, do they go low res, or do they still do 1080i? Then we will know how much lip service is being paid to the intent of HDCP...
Both HDMI and Component are 1080i. I also have confirmed in the past that if watching a 1080p VOD that the component output will also be 1080p.

Is this HDCP ever preventing putting the program on the internal disc, EHD or iPad?

My TVs have an info banner on them that shows the resolution.
...and it will ALWAYS show you the same value from the input a Dish receiver is connected to. Doesn't matter if it's a FOX channel, that broadcasts in 720p, CBS that's in 1080i, or a local stations sub-channel that's in fact worse than 480i - whatever your setting in the receiver's menu is set to is what will be reported for ALL of those channels.

I believe that HDCP flag causes the component output to be switched to 480p while the HDMI remains 1080i or 720p, whatever the network is sending.

Speaking of defeating HDCP, my setup has the HDMI cable from the Hopper (outputting 1080i) going to a powered HDMI switch, to a powered HDMI splitter then one leg goes to my Sanyo 720p HDTV and the other goes to an HDFury HDMI to component converter then to my Sony D50 CRT projector and the picture on the projector is the same on Discovery as it is on Disney, so evidently the HDFury has HDCP capability and passes the converted 1080i signal on to the projector at the 1080i resolution.

If I were to hookup my Hauppauge PVR device to the component output of the HDFury I think it would still record 1080i to my PC.

With my Hopper I no longer have the need to try to store or archive such recordings since it has enough recording capacity (especially with EHD) that I do not feel it necessary and it was a pain in the ass to work with the HD recordings on my PC.

The Hopper will even play HD recordings made on my HTC Inspire cell phone and copied to my PC, from my PC and play them - a great product IMHO.

HDCP disabling the component output sux0r...

I used to have a perfectly working SlingBox Solo using the RCA jacks, but had to get the Dish Sling adapter.

Also, I was getting this message on SyFy while trying to watch The Wil Wheaton Project....

Anyone want to buy a Slingbox Solo and a Hauppage HD-PVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)