What else can I do to boost reception?

crash331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
I have a RadioShack 160" boom antenna which is rated at 100+ miles. I am 60 miles from my market and I am still having trouble recieving stations. I have a ChannelMaster Spartan pre-amp attached (rated at 23db/16db I believe). I uses my Silva Ranger compass to point it precisely at 152 degrees, which is where all the stations are located from this far. I have the antenna mounted on my chimney, so it is probably 30-40 feet off the ground.

Will an amplifier help? I am afraid it will overload the channels I am already getting good. Here is how my reception is working out:

2 - ABC, can't get it on the roof, but I got it with the antenna sitting on my pool deck last night, unmounted.
5 - Fox, can't get it.
11 - NBC. Comes in perfectly. 90-100% signal.
12 - CBS, can't get it. I have heard rumors of CBS-Atlanta broadcasting at 60%, so I really don't care about this one.
14 - Pax. Comes in perfectly like NBC.
17 - TBS. Signal fluctuates form 0-40%, never get a picture.
43 - UPN. Comes in alright. Occasional drop outs.
46 - WB. Comes in about 5 seconds, breaks up for 5, etc.

The rest are all religious channels that I don't really care about. Ironically, I get all 10 or 15 of them at 100%.

And I'd rather not spend $200 on a gigantic Winegard and have to remount. The one I have is rated purple anyway.

OTA DT-reception

ref: Antenna & Pre-Amp

1. Suggest verification that the antenna that is rated at the"160mi" range is "UHF" rated,and not "VHF". NOTE: The ATSC' freqs or more UHF sensitive.

2. Ideally, an "amplified"(AC plug-in) type of Channel Master Distribution Amplifier between the antenna, the "RG-6" cable(no RG-59 please), and your ATSC Tuner will really increases your reception sensitivity!!

http://community-2.webtv/HDTVinfo/DTugusta/

OTA DT-reception

To: Cash 335

1. Suggest verification that the antenna that is rated at the"160mi" range is "UHF" rated,and not "VHF". NOTE: The ATSC' freqs or more UHF sensitive.

2. Ideally, an "amplified"(AC plug-in) type of Channel Master Distribution Amplifier between the antenna, the "RG-6" cable(no RG-59 please), and your ATSC Tuner will really increases your reception sensitivity!!

OTA DT-reception

To: Cash 331

The UHF of the antenna is rated at 100 miles. I only have 1 VHF channel in my area and I recieve it fine, even with the antenna unmounted.

And I do have a pre-amp that plugs into the wall inside and also has a box on the antenna mast.

crash331 said:
The UHF of the antenna is rated at 100 miles. I only have 1 VHF channel in my area and I recieve it fine, even with the antenna unmounted.

And I do have a pre-amp that plugs into the wall inside and also has a box on the antenna mast.
60 mile out side of Atlanta is pushing it. Radioshhack is not that good of an antenna - I have one but I am with in 35 miles.

UHF reception usually caps at 60 miles with out being really high or special mounting. First try tilting the antenna up at an angle- Not promising it will work but tilting can help with distant reception. If theat fails I would suggest a higher gain antenna. One that has less noise also- ChannelMaster 4228 or something from www.antennasdirect.com.

If it means anything to you, you do not need a HUGE VHF/UHF combo. WXIA, while it is VHF, is a high band VHF and comes in just fine with a UHF only antenna.

So I can get away with a UHF only? Man, that would be so much better. I am a little afraid that my chimney mount wont hold up in weather with that huge 160" antenna. So will that 8bay bowtie pick better than the radioshack one? WXIS is the only VHF station in atlanta, right?

Oh yeah, and are analog channels broadcast on UHF? Because my mom wants the locals on her TV in non-digital so I am going to split the cable and run one for her.

In other words WSB ABC broadcasts DT on RF 39 but it has a virtual channel of 2. So I can get it with a UHF antenna. But what about the analog signal? Is it broadcast on RF 2? If so I can't go with a UHF only antenna because then my mom can't get ABC (2) or Fox (5)

Kevinw said:
If it means anything to you, you do not need a HUGE VHF/UHF combo. WXIA, while it is VHF, is a high band VHF and comes in just fine with a UHF only antenna.

It will come in just fine if your close but using a 4228 UHF antenna to receive VHF channel 10 may be a problem. That station is only transmitting 80 kW and the 4228 UHF antenna loses gain rapidly below ch 13. It might work and it might not. Your having some success with that channel now because VHF can travel a bit beyond LOS but don't throw away the VHF antenna until you try the other one first. You really need more altitude if your working over 55 miles or so and it's difficult to compensate for a lack of LOS with an antenna change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts