What equipment will I get?

rrmills

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
My wife and I are moving into a new house soon, so I'm trying to figure out the TV solution. I'm probably going to go with Dish again, but I'm not sold on the Hopper/Joey combo, mostly because of all the added fees. If I select the options right so that it wants to give me one of the traditional 2-tuner DVRs, the online tool says I'll get "Rcvr 622/722 HD Duo (2TV) DVR". How do I know what I'm going to get? I don't want a 622, and I'd prefer the 722K w/ OTA tuners, but it sounds like if I move forward with this, I could get a 622. I figured if I ordered the sling adapter, I'd get at least a 722, but is there any way to for sure get a 722K?

PM a DIRT member about the 722K, although I don't think they can give any guarantees. Other option, go through a local retailer and specify the 722K.
NOW, look into your crystal ball to foresee if you would be getting another HDTV in the near future. If so, you should reconsider the Hopper/Joey.

Thanks for the tip. It's hard for me to justify the Hopper/Joey at $11 (or $18 if I want two more connections) per month more when I can just mirror the TV2 out of the 622/722/722K, which is good enough for my current setup. If Dish ever reconsidered and included the 1st Joey in the $4 whole-house DVR fee I might reconsider too.

Keep in mind that the 722K TV2 is SD. You probably already know that though. Anyway, just go ahead and schedule the install. When the installer calls you to tell you he's on the way, ask him if he has 722Ks on hand (most likely will.) If he does, go through with the install. If not, cancel the install and reschedule. I would highly recommend using DIRT to schedule your install so that there is no confusion. Can probably get the OTA tuner through DIRT as well (not sure, I ordered mine later on back when I had my 722Ks.)

3HaloODST said:
Keep in mind that the 722K TV2 is SD. You probably already know that though. Anyway, just go ahead and schedule the install. When the installer calls you to tell you he's on the way, ask him if he has 722Ks on hand (most likely will.) If he does, go through with the install. If not, cancel the install and reschedule. I would highly recommend using DIRT to schedule your install so that there is no confusion. Can probably get the OTA tuner through DIRT as well (not sure, I ordered mine later on back when I had my 722Ks.)

What he said. But give the guy a chance to licate a 722k for you. But realize installers normally dont carry the ota module on them. Im in california, we dont even have them in our shop.

Thanks for the tip. It's hard for me to justify the Hopper/Joey at $11 (or $18 if I want two more connections) per month more when I can just mirror the TV2 out of the 622/722/722K, which is good enough for my current setup. If Dish ever reconsidered and included the 1st Joey in the $4 whole-house DVR fee I might reconsider too.
depending on how your home is wired, you might be able to mirror on Hopper/Joey with SD.

I have an extra coax line running from my Hopper that goes to a different TV room. I use an RF modulator off that hopper and it mirrors just fine to an SD tv.

Some people have mentioned putting a Joey in the central distribution along with an RF modulator and then mirroring to multiple TVs.

It's definitely possible to mirror SD with the Hopper/joey. Just depends on your wiring.

depending on how your home is wired, you might be able to mirror on Hopper/Joey with SD.

I have an extra coax line running from my Hopper that goes to a different TV room. I use an RF modulator off that hopper and it mirrors just fine to an SD tv.

Some people have mentioned putting a Joey in the central distribution along with an RF modulator and then mirroring to multiple TVs.

It's definitely possible to mirror SD with the Hopper/joey. Just depends on your wiring.

He does not want the H/J fees. RF not the issue.

He does not want the H/J fees. RF not the issue.
If he does some mirroring with the hopper/joey, he can get the fees fairly close. Probably only a $4 increase rather than $11 or $18 that he was worried about in Post #3.

Fees were my issue too. I got rid of a Joey and replaced it with an RF modulator. My bill decreased $7 per month. It's only costing me $4 more a month than my previous Dish setup.

If he does some mirroring with the hopper/joey, he can get the fees fairly close. Probably only a $4 increase rather than $11 or $18 that he was worried about in Post #3.

Fees were my issue too. I got rid of a Joey and replaced it with an RF modulator. My bill decreased $7 per month. It's only costing me $4 more a month than my previous Dish setup.

I can get by with a single 622/722/722K serving my house - so $6 DVR fee, no receiver fee. Adding a Hopper and a single Joey for mirroring is $11/month more. That's my main problem with the fee structure on these.

I can get by with a single 622/722/722K serving my house - so $6 DVR fee, no receiver fee. Adding a Hopper and a single Joey for mirroring is $11/month more. That's my main problem with the fee structure on these.

oh i misread. the way you have it posted there, it looked as if you were wanting multiple receivers. Not a single receiver.

1 Receiver households don't really benefit as much with the hopper/joey system since it's mostly intended as a true multiroom solution. So it makes sense in your case to go with the older receivers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts