What Ever Happened to ESPNU HD???

It was announced last summer that Dish was going to be one of the carriers and it sounded like it was going on the air back then. We are coming up on CFB and they have lots of games on ESPNU. Does anyone carry it?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/145716-espnu-launch-hd-channel.html

Awful Announcing: ESPNU Goes HD, Releases Announcers For CFB Games

Sorry to say that as of now Dish does NOT have a contract agreement to carry this network. I think you misread the thread.

If it were up to me. Dish would already have this one.:)

Thought you guys might like a look at the U control rooms. The room with the large wall of HD monitors is our new HD control room which will go on line later this year. The other room is the current SD control room which will go HD in the future also.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 285
Thought you guys might like a look at the U control rooms. The room with the large wall of HD monitors is our new HD control room which will go on line later this year. The other room is the current SD control room which will go HD in the future also.

Enjoy.

get that bad boy up and running in time for football season!!! then head over to dish network with a carriage agreement. lol, ok, i know that is a longshot but good to see it coming.

The games will be in HD, but the studio shows will be in SD until the new control room comes on line. As to Dish carrying it in HD, its in negotiations at this time.

Hope they get on the ball and have it in time for football season! They need to get a UT game scheduled so it will push Charlie along in adding it to the lineup!

I don't know. He is in CT and we are in NC, so we have never met. ESPNU comes out of Charlotte, NC.

I don't know. He is in CT and we are in NC, so we have never met. ESPNU comes out of Charlotte, NC.
Really? That's interesting. I was just asking because his radio show is simulcast on ESPNU. Although I saw he is going to be on that Sports Nation show as well.

By the way, hypothetically, if Dish were to broadcast a certain college sports network in hd, would this theoretically awesome channel be available to Turbo HD subscribers? Also, I genuinely hope the broadcast quality is better than the CBS College channel; I have been watching games from last year the past couple of days, and they look terrible in "HD." Anywho, keep up the good work!

I have not been told a time frame. What I know is part of it has to do with tier positioning. As I am sure you know all content providers want to be on the lowest tier they can be on so that they have as many eyes on the commercials as possible, carriers on the other hand want to move you up to higher priced tiers to increase their revenue stream through the extra fees they charge for those tiers. Eventually they always work it out. It just takes time.

GVG, thanks for the photos and update. Do you have an opinion as to whether the signal coming out of the Charlotte area would cause an uplink problem for the HD signal?

You commented, "Eventually they always work it out. It just takes time." This reminded me of the Outdoor Channel HD impasse which has lasted for years now. "Eventually" can be several years, for sure. But we'll continue to be hopeful.

Regarding the CBSC-HD quality issue, I think a large part of the problem may be that the games (at least many of them) were not originally broadcast in HD, or if broadcast in HD, it was an upconvert of an SD signal. I find the replays very watchable.

Best regards,
Fitzie

The signal from Charlotte goes by fiber to Bristol CT to our main headquarters and satellite farm. From there it is uplinked to the satellite. So it goes to space out of the same facility as the other ESPN channels. Feeds from the games themselves come into Charlotte by fiber and by satellite, get integrated with the studio and re-fed back to Bristol.

... Regarding the CBSC-HD quality issue, I think a large part of the problem may be that the games (at least many of them) were not originally broadcast in HD, or if broadcast in HD, it was an upconvert of an SD signal. I find the replays very watchable ...
Even during the season, they would rebroadcast the CBS games, and they would come in with this awful quality; I mean, I am never impressed with CBS sports quality, but the CBS college channel is just awful.

Even during the season, they would rebroadcast the CBS games, and they would come in with this awful quality; I mean, I am never impressed with CBS sports quality, but the CBS college channel is just awful.

I think just about the only football that was in HD on there last year were the Navy games. Even the CBS rebroadcasts weren't advertised as HD, I don't think. That channel at least lived up to the HD label somewhat during March Madness and the tournament week that proceeded it. I also saw a Texas college baseball game in HD a few months back; they just don't seem very committed to HD yet.

I would be willing to bet that by the end of the summer, Dish Network will have ESPNU HD. They already have a respectable (if not outright better) HD line-up to DirecTV, and to have this and a few other services (BBC America HD for one) before a lot of new seasons of TV AND sports start would be a MAJOR advantage IMO.

GVG, thanks for the information on the routing of the signal; if sent by fiber to Bristol for normal uplinking there should be no problem.

I remember when CBS-C advertised the first Navy game in HD last fall. It is weird that the re-transmissions of the original CBS-HD games were not in HD; there is probably some kind of issue with distribution rights which kept CBS-C from re-distributing the games in HD. I don't recall ever hearing any comment from CBS-C on that matter.

So far as DBSOgre's comment about Dish having ESPN-U HD by the end of the summer, I hope that happens but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation--the money might be wrong. If Disney asks $100 million per year for carriage I would bet Charlie will give it a pass.

Regards,
Fitzie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts