What exactly is the "Out Door Device"?

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
This morning while watching a recorded program a transparent full screen overlay covered the playing program which continued under the overlay. The overlay said the receiver was unable to activate the "Out Door Device" and would continue to try but in the meantime no live programming would be available. In fact, nothing other than the recording that was already playing was available. Everything was frozen.

I waited a few minutes for the "Out Door Device" to activate, but it did not. So, I did an RBR and everything was normal after the reboot. I've never seen this message before. Is it something new?

This morning while watching a recorded program a transparent full screen overlay covered the playing program which continued under the overlay. The overlay said the receiver was unable to activate the "Out Door Device" and would continue to try but in the meantime no live programming would be available. In fact, nothing other than the recording that was already playing was available. Everything was frozen.

I waited a few minutes for the "Out Door Device" to activate, but it did not. So, I did an RBR and everything was normal after the reboot. I've never seen this message before. Is it something new?

That message is displayed if a wire or connection comes loose or if the LNB fails.

You must have a hopper, using a hybrid lnb and hub. The only time I've ever seen that the outdoor unit can't be initialized is when the coax connected to the lnb is connected to port 2, instead of port 1. Assuming you didn't take apart the lnb and physically swap that cable yourself, I'd say the lnb is starting to fail. I'd let it go for now, but definitely call in for a tech if you see that message again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell
You must have a hopper, using a hybrid lnb and hub. The only time I've ever seen that the outdoor unit can't be initialized is when the coax connected to the lnb is connected to port 2, instead of port 1. Assuming you didn't take apart the lnb and physically swap that cable yourself, I'd say the lnb is starting to fail. I'd let it go for now, but definitely call in for a tech if you see that message again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

If you disconnect the coax from the back of a Hopper and re-connect it while it's turned on you will often see that message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)