What foods do you miss from back home?

I have a homestyle version in mind of what a "hoagie" is. In these parts they're called grinders, essentially a submarine sandwich that has been baked in the oven before the veggies are added. Most are done in some kind of quick toaster oven or even a microwave. No comparison! Back home (southside of Pgh) we had a place along the strip near South Park that was family-owned and unique, in business since the 50's. Their hoagies were baked in a stone hearth oven of some type IIRC. They were done such that the outter crust was always dark brown and crunchy (if memory serves, the rolls were rubbed with olive oil first) but the bread itself was still soft, enough so that it soaked-up the oil and vinegar added as the last ingredient. You could have your choice of many meats and cheeses. I was "regular Italian" type, Cappacola and salami with provolone, lettuce, tomatos, red onions, and mushrooms sprinkled with their special seasonings, and all baked together. Ummmm! I have never found an equivalent. My buddies and I would frequent the place for late night munchies. A half hoagie, 2 cuts of pizza with mushrooms and extra cheese, and a coke was the normal fare. It would set you back less than $3. The place was called Beto's Pizza on Banksville Rd. I haven't been back there for 20 years but I understand they're still in business (not sure if it's the original location, tho'). Maybe someone else remembers...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...:Pennsylvania:Betos.Pizza.And.Restaurant.html

Last edited:
I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and now live in westrern PA. I really miss Italian Beef sandwiches and pizza from a couple of my favorite spots in Brookfield Il.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)