what frequency step to use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

babcea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
N.Florida
my vs ultra has a selection on the blind scan for freq. step,it ranges from 5 to 16,what is the difference,and does it matter what step to use.

The larger the step size the faster the scan will be, but you might miss a few low symbol rate transponders.

With a smaller step size your scan will be slower but you might pickup the low symbol rate transponders.

My Coolsat uses a step size of 8 MHz and My Pansat uses 6 MHz.

Just saves some time. If you set it at 5 it takes a lot longer doing scans, but I havent' found that it does any more detailed scan that way. Mine still seems to find the same amount of stuff if I run a scan on 5, 6 or 10. Mostly I use 8 or 9 its a bit faster. Ultra doesn't give you a "normal" or "detailed" scan option. You can set it someplace in the menu to skip scrambled channels though.

The larger the step size the faster the scan will be, but you might miss a few low symbol rate transponders.

With a smaller step size your scan will be slower but you might pickup the low symbol rate transponders.

My Coolsat uses a step size of 8 MHz and My Pansat uses 6 MHz.
thank you for the quik reply,I will play around and find one that is fast and does not miss some channels,at the step 5 the ultra takes about 20-30 minutes to blind scan.

Yep Turbo's right not much difference with my Viewsat, I just leave it on 9 saves time and finds what I want.

20min is too long! Did you buy one of those new Version2 Ultra's ?
Maybe that 'new' processor is not so great if it's taking that long.
Average on most sats for my yr old ultra is 8-9min, depends on how many active transponders you hit. If it took 20min I'd throw it out the window.

20min is too long! Did you buy one of those new Version2 Ultra's ?
Maybe that 'new' processor is not so great if it's taking that long.
Average on most sats for my yr old ultra is 8-9min, depends on how many active transponders you hit. If it took 20min I'd throw it out the window.
sometimes I feel like it,yes it is a v2,picture is better than my old one,I changed the step to nine and it is better I think I will keep it there.I press scan and walk out and check it every few minutes so I dont throw it through the window LOL.

Cool, you're the first I've talked to who's had both versions of the Ultra. You should try those low SR feeds on AMC6 and see if your new one will display those. They're very low, like 1505 for one or two nbc feeds. May not be on at night, not sure. My older Ultra can't display them, pops in and out.

Cool, you're the first I've talked to who's had both versions of the Ultra. You should try those low SR feeds on AMC6 and see if your new one will display those. They're very low, like 1505 for one or two nbc feeds. May not be on at night, not sure. My older Ultra can't display them, pops in and out.
do you mean put in the freq. then 1505 ,if so I will try on tues.and let you know.

I haven't yet found such an adjustment on the Coolsat 7100, do you know if such a thing might exist on this model or is it designed for "less technical" users?

Unfortunately searching google for any information on Coolsat brings up 99% "eye-patch" or otherwise dubious sites and 1% stuff here that I've already read.

Have you found any mention in the satellite scan menu of 'detailed' or 'normal' scan options?
I thought the coolsats all had very good blind-scanning options, but I haven't owned one.
Yet.

I could only find the manual for the 7000 on the website, it does say under the blind-searching menu, select auto for all blind search, or manual to enter a certain freq, then it says select polarity, then select search Type, if the software is the same for the 7100 that may be where you find any option of fast/slow/detailed/normal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)