What happen to P2.70 to P2.79?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Maybe this was covered before and I did not see it, but was the recent update so large that it jump from 2.69 to 2.80? I would think that several changes took
place. Scott, am I wrong in my thinking as to the gap?

:confused:

There are a number of reasons that you don't see interim software versions. Dish may have had 10 other versions that never got out of beta, or more likely the version numbering was resequenced for some reason. A jump like that happened back in April with the 921 software releases as well.

markdl said:
There are a number of reasons that you don't see interim software versions. Dish may have had 10 other versions that never got out of beta, or more likely the version numbering was resequenced for some reason. A jump like that happened back in April with the 921 software releases as well.
I'm also not convinced that Dish doesn't send "hidden" patches down on occassion - especially if it's an attempt to quietly fix something they messed up on previous release.

WaltinVt

waltinvt\ said:
I'm also not convinced that Dish doesn't send "hidden" patches down on occassion - especially if it's an attempt to quietly fix something they messed up on previous release.

WaltinVt

I'm certain that they do. I've seen several things "fix" themselves without a major download several times.

waltinvt said:

WaltinVt

I doubt this very much. It is very uncommon to send a software update with the same revision number. Why? If they did and a bug was reported back then could not match the release point. This would take away any track ability that re-visioning provides. Very doubtful. Wonder if Dish was sitting on the grassy knoll too? ;)

I am not saying this does not happen, but from my experience this is not done with development shops with greater than 1 employee.

Bobby said:
I'm certain that they do. I've seen several things "fix" themselves without a major download several times.

Believe it or not. A bug can fix it itself. Later on it might unfix itself depending on a conditions. These bugs are usually hard to track, fix and reproduce. Lots of times they disappear and then reappear later. The person claims the bug has reappeared, but in reality it was never fixed. Common causes of this problem could bin uninitialized variables. Buffer overruns. etc.

Like I said in the earlier post, sending out quiet fixes with the same revision number would create a support nightmare that no development team would want. Engineering would not allow this type of behavior. Even a group of idiots as some think they are. ;)

WeeJavaDude said:
I doubt this very much. It is very uncommon to send a software update with the same revision number. Why? If they did and a bug was reported back then could not match the release point. This would take away any track ability that re-visioning provides.

What in your history of observing how Dish engineering operates makes you think they conform to any sort of industry quality standard?

I have lots of reasons to agree with WJD on this one. Everything from how the upload process works to how the software is actually stored in the receiver.

I seriously doubt that they do anything except send out full software replacement versions.

GaryPen said:
What in your history of observing how Dish engineering operates makes you think they conform to any sort of industry quality standard?

I am not even talking about industry standards. I am talking about what developers and engineering organizations would allow. I would never work at a company that release to the wild multiple software releases under the same revision number. Like I said, I have never seen this happen or have heard of this happening. Here is why I don't think it would happen.

You release 2.69 to the masses followed by a silent update 2.69. Some people are set to manually except the update. How do you know what version an end user has? If you don't know for sure it makes debugging what is already a difficult task even more difficult. Support Nightmare at minimum.

This is not about industry standards, this one goes beyond industry standards and would never pass the smell test. Not even close. If Dish is doing this and it can be proven, Gary you have my permission to put "WJD is an Idiot" on your signature and that Dish's engineering group is worse than a pile of dung.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)