What happened to Access America on G19 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
I sometimes like to listen to Access America on Galaxy 19.

I know from my experience in the past, that it sometimes goes off the air. But it seems to been off the air for several weeks now.

Anyone know if they are gone for sure. Or will they be back ?

I sometimes like to listen to Access America on Galaxy 19.

I know from my experience in the past, that it sometimes goes off the air. But it seems to been off the air for several weeks now.

Anyone know if they are gone for sure. Or will they be back ?

they are internet only for now, deciding if it's worth going back on satellite. Ralf said he paid the bill when he received it but the uplinker cut off service for non-payment so it sounds like the check didn't make it to the uplinker's business office in time.

EDIT: Sat Talk Live show can be heard on the internet stream and the archive of each show is still posted later in the evening of the show date. Hurricane Isaac hitting Ralf's area **may** preempt the show this week due to storm damage or Ralf being super busy helping get coverage of the Hurricane delivered to the various newsies.

They are gone. Ralf has been funding AA out of his own pocket, and got tired of sponsors stiffing him. Satellite feed is down and will be down unless he finds sponsorship.

Thats too bad, although I got to admit when I am tuned in I am usually listening via the internet anyways. Ralf should contact me if he needs help with his internet feeds and or hosting I can help him out there.

He mentioned on the show that the satellite uplink costs some ridiculous amount of money: thousands of dollars, for less than 1 Mbps of bandwidth.

Meanwhile, here in the year 2012, a home Internet connection can be had with several orders of magnitude more bandwidth for under $100 a month.

A satellite uplink does not make financial sense for a small outfit like Access America and the small amount of bandwidth they require. Even people out in the sticks on dial-up or satellite Internet have the amount of bandwidth that their audio stream requires.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts