What happened to regular software updates?

Still no manual timers :/ . Recycle bin feature is already useful! When you delete things they are stored under "Deleted Recordings" for the next 48 hours. You can also restore them if you want. Deleting recordings instantaneously gives you more space, even though they are not 100% deleted. In other words, once stored in the "recycle bin" the recordings no longer occupy the users' recording space, unless restored.
One other scenario...if running out of HDD space I would assume that the "deleted recordings" would get overwritten before the 48 hours is up if the space is needed to record more titles.

dare2be said:
One other scenario...if running out of HDD space I would assume that the "deleted recordings" would get overwritten before the 48 hours is up if the space is needed to record more titles.

I am assuming that the recycled recordings become a part of the Dish-only portion of the HDD. You could be right though, maybe the free space calculation just changes but the files are not actually moved. The only way to know this for sure would be to let the HDD fill to the brim. With the gigantic space plus having 3 Hoppers I don't see that happening around here anytime soon!

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Yes Manual timers are coming...

And to answer John's questions yes I am still seeing the glitches at the top and bottom of the hour even with the new software. :(

I have a feeling its something in the data stream.

I am assuming that the recycled recordings become a part of the Dish-only portion of the HDD. You could be right though, maybe the free space calculation just changes but the files are not actually moved. The only way to know this for sure would be to let the HDD fill to the brim. With the gigantic space plus having 3 Hoppers I don't see that happening around here anytime soon!

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys
My thoughts were confirmed by Vivek a couple hours ago:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-Recordings-Recycle-Bin?p=3022274#post3022274

Last edited:
Well, I was doing some hunting for my boss today, and the more I read on the Hopper and PTAT I got myself hooked. I had some misconceptions on PTAT and the 8 day window. I have a Hopper and 1 Joey set for install on Friday 11/23. Great deal for 12 months sold it.

I'm glad to see they offered up a recycle bin like TiVo, I rarely delete something by accident, but when it happens it SUCKS. What are the glitches at the top of bottom of each hour you are talking about?

Im glad to see the OTA added, but I quit using it on the HR34 because it was buggy, and to be honest have not missed it. I wont be messing with it at all.

What are the glitches at the top of bottom of each hour you are talking about?

There's a roughly 1-second drop out at the top / bottom of the hour (really 29/59) on hopper and joey. This is true on live and also occurs at the original :29 and :59 when you are playing back a DVR event. In short, it's an actual issue with the datastream.

My guess, and it's only a guess is that they are dropping out when they are placing markers in the streams for rewind points and something somewhere isn't keeping up. Keep in mind you already have one going for the current show as well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Do people really manually delete things that often from their hoppers? I haven't deleted anything since the day they installed them I just wait for the system to do it hopefully it will work as well as my 722 did and when it finally fills up it just deletes the oldest stuff first. I guess I will find out since one of mine is finally at 86% full.

My plan was to manually save the items I want from PTAT, since I stay more than 8 days behind usually, and then let the others get cycled out by the DVR.

Of course once I watch something, I would manually delete as soon as I finish.

keckge said:
Do people really manually delete things that often from their hoppers? I haven't deleted anything since the day they installed them I just wait for the system to do it hopefully it will work as well as my 722 did and when it finally fills up it just deletes the oldest stuff first. I guess I will find out since one of mine is finally at 86% full.

I delete things as soon as I've watched them (unless someone else in the house wants to see it).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I delete things as soon as I've watched them (unless someone else in the house wants to see it).

We don't delete that quickly, but it's nice to keep the recordings to a manageable number when possible. Just makes it easier to find stuff....

RE: the hit at 29/59, I don't recall this happening with the older receivers. Does this also happen on the 722k etc?

Has anyone tried playing back an MP4 video from Home Media with the new release? Was hoping to have that on the new release so I can reduce the number of devices I have.

cosmo_kramer said:
We don't delete that quickly, but it's nice to keep the recordings to a manageable number when possible. Just makes it easier to find stuff....

Yeah, it's more for de-cluttering than need for space on my part. For the same reason, I almost always move movies recorded off of premiums to my EHD right away (unless I decide I want to watch it within the week).

I delete stuff all the time. If I'm done watching a non-special show, why would I want to keep it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)