What happens Apr 18--autopsy, funeral, or burial?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
What is likely to happen Apr 18 then regarding VOOM--is that board meeting still in the works?

It is anybody's guess at this point. But does it really matters in light of the facts that we already know. Is there any tiny little bit of hope? Who knows?

The board will agree to market VOOM21 channels just like WE, AMC and IFC. I would expect Rainbow Media to market FU-HD and Monsters-HD to any takers and for C. Dolan to seek agreements with D* and E* to provide an exclusive "Only on Satellite" package of perhaps a dozen channels (3 Cinema, Rave, Rush, HD News, Equator, Gallery, Auction, etc.). C. Dolan may have lost Rainbow DBS, but he hasn't lost VOOM21 content. Anyway, this is my opinion...

BTW, Rainbow DBS is dead and probably won't be mentioned much at all in the board meetings.

I really like HDNews, Rush and Rave. I hope they are able to market those successfully. I would probably go with a provider who picked those channels up. Guess the CHarlie chat this Monday is going to be unusually popular, isn't it?

riffjim4069 said:
The board will agree to market VOOM21 channels just like WE, AMC and IFC. I would expect Rainbow Media to market FU-HD and Monsters-HD to any takers and for C. Dolan to seek agreements with D* and E* to provide an exclusive "Only on Satellite" package of perhaps a dozen channels (3 Cinema, Rave, Rush, HD News, Equator, Gallery, Auction, etc.). C. Dolan may have lost Rainbow DBS, but he hasn't lost VOOM21 content. Anyway, this is my opinion...QUOTE]

maybe they could throw the voom21 on cablevision for now, since that wouldnt take to much effort :)

I do hope that if or when V21 is made avail they don't selectively make somethings avail only via another sat. Im giving Comcast a try and be nice if they had it to offer as an addon premium.

Keep in mind that while I love my Voom, it has really taken a toll cost wise on the company so I think they would wanna sell the pkg to as many providers as possible to try and recoup some of the previous loses. Then again thats just my opinion anmd I am often wrong hehe

Perhaps they will create AMC HD with selections from some of the VOOM movie channels. Why not?

Sean... Why do we still list May 2005 highlights? Is there a hint hidden in that? ;)

I think HDNEWS, Rave, and Rush and Possibly Soundstage could be marketed...as for the rest...2 rotating movies do not a network make.

To me, the bigger loss with Voom is Cinemax, Starz, TMC HD.

ksload said:
I think HDNEWS, Rave, and Rush and Possibly Soundstage could be marketed...as for the rest...2 rotating movies do not a network make.

To me, the bigger loss with Voom is Cinemax, Starz, TMC HD.

Wow, how many movies a day do you watch:)

Actually, the movie channels are just fine, since they show stuff that is not generally available elsewhere and sometimes is not even on DVD. The real loss to me is Equator, Gallery, Rush, RAVE, Auction and yes, the movie channels..., I liked them pretty much all. Cinemax and the rest, who cares, I got a Netflix subscription.

sadly, at least for now, it doesnt look like comcast has UHD maybe they will tho. I cant really find any info on channels they want to add

bratboy said:
sadly, at least for now, it doesnt look like comcast has UHD maybe they will tho. I cant really find any info on channels they want to add

If comcast is anything like COX then the standard answer from them is that "they are in negotiations" LOLOL

I kept cable for my weight room TV and for my bedroom TV's while I had VOOM. I would contact COX every so often to see how their HD pack was coming along. They would constantly say they are in negotiations and can't comment.

In other words.... No way Jose! LOLOLOL

Billnut said:
What channels are included in the Voom 21?

100 HDNews
101 HD Cinema10
102 HD Cinema10 - World Cinema
103 HD Cinema10
104 HD Cinema10
105 HD Cinema10
106 HD Cinema10
107 HD Cinema10 - Classics
108 HD Cinema10 - Epics
109 HD Cinema10 - Gunslingers
110 HD Cinema10 - Divine
121 Monsters HD
122 Equator HD
123 WorldSport HD
124 Rush HD
125 Rave HD
126 Ultra HD
127 Auction HD
128 Gallery HD
129 MOOV HD
130 Animania HD
999 Inside VOOM HD

hdtvtechno said:
100 HDNews
101 HD Cinema10
102 HD Cinema10 - World Cinema
103 HD Cinema10
104 HD Cinema10
105 HD Cinema10
106 HD Cinema10
107 HD Cinema10 - Classics
108 HD Cinema10 - Epics
109 HD Cinema10 - Gunslingers
110 HD Cinema10 - Divine
121 Monsters HD
122 Equator HD
123 WorldSport HD
124 Rush HD
125 Rave HD
126 Ultra HD
127 Auction HD
128 Gallery HD
129 MOOV HD
130 Animania HD
999 Inside VOOM HD

ACTUALLY Take off 999 and you really have the VOOM 21. 999 is just a promo channel but the HD is probably better than the channel it is promoting

To keep on topic (which is something I sometimes don't do). I think April 18th will see some kind annoucement of marketing the VOOM 21+pr who many be carrying them. I hope it is not D*) Actually, would not mind if they were on BUD 4dTV) I am holding making any new decisions until then.

Currently, I just don't see DBS providers having the bandwidth to add many HD channels at present. Perhaps after MPEG-4? I don't know, but it won't be soon enough since HD LIL are a much larger priority.

Cable picking up VOOM21? Just like DBS, most don't have the bandwidth to handle many more HD without turning off SD. Plus, VOIP and VOD are much larger priorities and MPEG-4 is years away for cable. Just my opinions...

GIven that E* already has a bird at 61.5, by changing the encryption algorithm - E* can carry the Voom21 without affecting their bandwidth ASAP.

Their might be more involved than this, but if not this would be a piece of cake.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
GIven that E* already has a bird at 61.5, by changing the encryption algorithm - E* can carry the Voom21 without affecting their bandwidth ASAP.

Their might be more involved than this, but if not this would be a piece of cake.

Cheers,
E* needs to resolve HD LIL and that "single dish" for LIL issue they currently have with the FCC. Plus, I don't think E* is beaming any HD services from the 61.5 location. I could be wrong about this since I'm not intimately familiary with E*, but I just don't see any HD coming from Rainbow-1 anytime soon. Over the next few months, Rainbow-1 is going to go through operational testing in preparating of the FCC approving the sale of 61.5 licenses.

I think so interesting annoucements have happend in recent days:
Ed Horawitz (Consultant for RainbowDBS) will be the new CEO of SES Americom on May 2 (owners of AMC-6 and developers of the Voom Eliptical dish)
John Malone attempts to buy more a bigger stake in D* from Rupurt Murdoch.

This leads me to believe that if they have not moved them yet, they will shortly move the Voom originals to AMC-6 (may even create more..AMCHD, WE HD, etc all regional sports channels owned by Cablevision, etc)...create a stand alone solution that can be purchased as part of both E* and D* (would take an old voom receiver and the new eliptical dish) or those people who choose to go back to cable could purchase just the Voom channels stand alone with the only change required is the eliptical dish.
This solves a couple of issues..they are out of the Satellite DBS business so they get out of contracts with all of the existing providers that they have lined up, they get out of the contract to produce more satellites (let SES Americom take care of this) and they allow for reuse of the existing equipment, but they don't need to replace 45,000 dishes at one time or maybe ever.
I would not be suprised if this or some variation very similar comes to pass.l

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts