What happens when the trees hide the birds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobHelms

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm a newbie here looking for some answers / advice. I'm seriously considering placing an order for D* but I'm concerned that my neighbors tree line will cause problems. I would expect that D* will want some obligation on my part (credit card number) before they dispatch whom ever to my house to do an install. Are there deposits involved? So the installer arrives, takes a look see and says sorry you don't have a LOS for D*, now what? Does the installer call D* to tell them I can't have D*? Do I have to call D* and tell them it won't work? How does this scenario play out? Should I call E* and see if they can get a LOS? A guy down the street has E* but I (at this point) would rather have D*. TIA for the help.:confused:

As far as I know there is no deposit. I never had to give a deposit when I got my D* service.

If the tech gets there and he has no LOS there is really nothing you can do besides taking a saw to the tree. The 99, 101 and 103 birds are pretty high up there so if the tree is not to tall you still may be ok. I have a huge pecan tree in the back yard but the dish actually shots over it and the lowest signal I have on all birds is 91. If 110 and 119 are also blocked E* may also be out of the picture as 110 and 119 is what E* uses also. You may however be able to get something from E* called the 'Eastern Arc' which would point the dish more toward the east. Hopefully there is nothing in the way to the east of you.

Good Luck

You shouldn't have to pay anything - though it depends on the equipment that you are getting and your credit rating ...

If they can't install - they will let directv know ... and you can either get someone out for a second opinion - or else they will refund you any monies that you have paid, back to the card that you used when you signed up ... (within a few days)

If its a no-go on both tries - you can try calling dish to see if they are able to hit it instead .. but i'd give Directv a try if you would rather have them. If they can't get you installed - you shouldn't be out of pocket at all.

I had this happen and the installer did not call DTV, I had to do it. At the time I had ordered a DVR and another HD box so they did charge my credit card $100 for the extra box. The installer never told me that I had to make the call so it took a while for me to see that DTV had not refunded my money so I called about it they took care of it, but in my experience they will charge you (based on equipment) and will keep the money until you call. So they may charge you at the time of install but all money will be refunded if they cant' do it.

Also, if you think you will have line of site issues, it might be best to call a local antenna/satellite company (look them up in the yellow pages). I had two DTV installers come out, both of whom could not do the install as they would not go on my roof (too steep they said). The second installer actually recommended the local company (antenna company that also does DTV installs) and they came out and did the install within a week, and did a great job.

I'm a newbie here looking for some answers / advice. I'm seriously considering placing an order for D* but I'm concerned that my neighbors tree line will cause problems. I would expect that D* will want some obligation on my part (credit card number) before they dispatch whom ever to my house to do an install. Are there deposits involved? So the installer arrives, takes a look see and says sorry you don't have a LOS for D*, now what? Does the installer call D* to tell them I can't have D*? Do I have to call D* and tell them it won't work? How does this scenario play out? Should I call E* and see if they can get a LOS? A guy down the street has E* but I (at this point) would rather have D*. TIA for the help.:confused:

Also, if you think you will have line of site issues, it might be best to call a local antenna/satellite company (look them up in the yellow pages). I had two DTV installers come out, both of whom could not do the install as they would not go on my roof (too steep they said). The second installer actually recommended the local company (antenna company that also does DTV installs) and they came out and did the install within a week, and did a great job.

Good point BigStein,
This is something I was also going to point out.

Also Bob,
Before you look and think you cannot get a signal, keep in mind that the was the reflector directs the beam, the sats are much higher in the sky than the line on the arm, don't go by that ....

Let D* try and if they can't get it try a second opinion if that doesn't work, call the local guys... the local guys will charge you to do the job, but you may not have to go that route, depends on what D* says.

Jimbo

Also, if you have to go local and they do end up charging you (my guy charged by the hour after the first two hours), get in touch with DTV customer service and let them know of your out of pocket expenses and they will likely give you some money off programming. I did this and felt like they were pretty generous (especially given the fact that I had just gotten the install so was tied to a two-year contract). For me it was well worth the out of pocket expense to have access to all the extra sports programming and improved picture over what I had with Comcast.

What if you have and comfront your neighbor nicely and have a nice chat and ask if would nice enough to trim a few branches ?
I really wish it was that simple. Multiple tall long leaf pines are at issue. I'll see what the D* install wizards have to say, I'm hoping for the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts