What has been DIRECTV's Best and Worst Moves of this Decade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
What do you think DirecTv has done right, and what do you think they have done wrong in the last decade?

Launch of new Satellites & swap from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4?
"Beta software program"?
Lead in HD channels for awhile?
Set top boxes?
Programming?

What do you think DirecTv has done right, and what do you think they have done wrong in the last decade?

"Beta software program"?
Set top boxes?
Programming?
Directv installations have become a free training ground for installers. The pimp & whore system of calling anyone who breaths a contractor and allowing their HSP ( Home Service Provider) contractors to steal payments and misrepresent working conditions has produced a whole generation of competent personnel who have just walked away. They will not consider further contact with the HSP system or Directv. They work for DISH or the cable companies.

In the rest of the business world, contractors must demonstrate they have paid all suppliers. Directv has chosen to ignore this and used the separation of their contract position to produce cheap installations at the expense of quality work and customer satisfaction. If installer compensation doesn't flow all the way down the chain that has not been a Directv concern. High turn over and constant new technicians has made their reputation more laughable that the cable companies they seek to compete with.

Directv has provided the country with a superior and developing entertainment system on the backs of people who have offered only their skills and willingness to work. They have allowed others to steal in their name.

But that is just me!

Yes, I could go on!

Joe

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Good:
- Being the 1st DBS company to employ MPEG4 for HD content delivery (Detroit locals were the 1st).
- Deciding to us Ka band licenese to keep their satellite constellation arc small since their core programming comes from only a 4 degree arc to make LOS easier to find.
- Adding new features/functions to their HR DVR's that are implemented on all their HD DVR's, not requiring customer to purchase new hardware to get a new feature.
- Providing some original programming or picking up cancelled series like Friday Night Lights and offering them at no charge to all customers.
- SWiM technology.
- Not falling back to using HD-Lite on their MPEG4 channels to allow them to add more HD content.
- Automatically giving anniversary gifts to customers.

Bad:
- Not using a more robust hardware platform for their HD DVR's.
- The external harddrive support.
- CSR Roulette
- The two year commitment for just adding a receiver to an existing account.
- Dropping Versus over costs but then hitting us with the usual annual price increase.

"Beta software program"?
Set top boxes?
Programming?

The good:
The best HD picture in the market!
For many years they have been the benchmark for stellar customer care.

The bad:
Recently Direc tv
Has lost focus on whats most immportant. The customer.
Equipment is clunky. Needs total overhall.

My 2 cents:

The Good:

HD content
Customer service seems to be better than in years past

The Bad:

Leased receiver program
No NFL Red Zone channel unless you get ST

The Ugly:

Leased receivers still require the protection plan if they go out?:confused:
Installers that have no business touching a Satellite Dish ( not all of them, I'm sure there are good ones out there :) )

The amount of price increases is wrong, sucky HR20 equipment, hard drive implementation and commitments. ALL Bad. Eventually they will price themselves out of the picture.

Last edited:
The Good
1. Still the only provider of NFL ST in the US yeah monopoly.
2. Directv on demand
3. Cutting Edge program.
4. The come back of tivo ( soon 2010 )

The Bad
1. year price increased
2. versus
3. stepping away from tivo partnership
4. Ruppert Murdoch Selling Directv
5. John Malone
6. Stonecold not getting enough pay raises
7. Crappy bosses who let me offically speak here
8. colecovision UI ( coined by scott )
9. crappy commericals
10. no tv japan

Best -
Dumping MPEG2 HD-Lite
Small sky footprint, when compared to E*

Worst -
Even employing MPEG2 HD-Lite :)
Leasing of Hardware
Long-term commits

The Good
2. Directv on demand
3. Cutting Edge program.

The Bad
1. year price increased
2. versus
5. John Malone
9. crappy commericals
10. no tv japan

2. On Demand ????

Only if you have a fast enough internet connection ..... and able to run direct line from router to recvr.

One of these is my problem, probably the slow internet connection ..... at 3mg it's just way to slow.
I'm using a wireless set up at the moment and hardly ever use the On Demand because it doesn't seem to work the way it should.

The Cable co's work pretty much instantly, D* s you have to down load.

2. On Demand ????

Only if you have a fast enough internet connection ..... and able to run direct line from router to recvr.

One of these is my problem, probably the slow internet connection ..... at 3mg it's just way to slow.
I'm using a wireless set up at the moment and hardly ever use the On Demand because it doesn't seem to work the way it should.

The Cable co's work pretty much instantly, D* s you have to down load.

Ok it pretty darn instant for me but I also have 50/20 Fios internet connection and my box is going thorugh wifi but still not too bad.

On demand is better then no demand. but yes on a 3mbs conection sd seems to be fine but HD is a god sit around and wait for ever type of deal.

The Good
2. Directv on demand
3. Cutting Edge program.

The Bad
1. year price increased
2. versus
5. John Malone
9. crappy commericals
10. no tv japan
yep that pretty much sums it up for me :up

The bad....NFL ST monopoly and raising the prices each year
(for that I'll stick with my Canadian subscription....way cheaper to get NFL ST)

Leased receivers still require the protection plan if they go out?:confused:

I just replaced one last night, well ordered it, and do not have the protection plan. The charged shipping, then gave me a 10 buck credit for 6 months to more than offset it. So the protection plan is worthless IMO.

Second time in 4 months I have had this happen. First one I got a box replaced that had been fried by lightning.

This last one was the first HD DVR I got back in late 06, the HDMI output went out, everything else still worked.

I just replaced one last night, well ordered it, and do not have the protection plan. The charged shipping, then gave me a 10 buck credit for 6 months to more than offset it. So the protection plan is worthless IMO.

Second time in 4 months I have had this happen. First one I got a box replaced that had been fried by lightning.

This last one was the first HD DVR I got back in late 06, the HDMI output went out, everything else still worked.
:up:up that's why i dont have it either. anything else i can take care of myself

My personal list.

Good
  1. SWM LNB
  2. HD Tivo (despite issues what is better than HD recording with a great scheduler and interface when it was all so new?)
  3. CE Program
  4. Strong amount of HD Channels later part of the decade
  5. Local HD for major markets and most minor
  6. MRV for CE folks
  7. Retention gifts to me over the years (free hardware, channels, movers advantage, etc.)
  8. Strong supporter of HDNet
  9. MPEG4, spotbeams, and Slimline dishes

Bad
  1. Abandoning Tivo as their primary DVR software
  2. Price of programming. Not all to blame on Directv but I think the whole damn thing costs too much.
  3. Nickel and dime'ing you on every cost. DVR fee, extra receiver fee, HD fee, etc.
  4. Not offering more package choices and alacarte
  5. Who could forget HDLite?
  6. NFL Sunday Ticket is way way too expensive
  7. Only initially offering NESNHD to Boston zip code when it was serviceable in adjoining states like Connecticut. I validated it was technically available by "moving". Shame on you Directv.
  8. 2 year retention policy bites!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts