What has Dish done to their HD receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Russell Jorgensen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Wisconsin
I have two HD receivers. A 622 HD DVR that I lease and a 211 HD receiver that I own. Suddenly the 622 has to be rebooted 2 or 3 times a day. It seems to only happen when I have CNN on. It will start making a strange buzzing sound and then there is nothing at all. No picture or sound. I can't even change the channel. I have to reboot the receiver to get the picture back. The OTA tunner has also begun to have some problems. Most channels now say they are 100% signal strength when they never were before ( I am over 50 miles from the nearest tower). Some of them now pixelate or drop from 100% to 0% and back to 100% in about 1 sec. Many times I get the Yellow box telling me that it can't find the signal but in a matter of a second or two the picture is back at 100% My 211's OTA tunner is doing the same thing as well. If this has happened after a software upgrade (this seems to be the case) why can't Dish redownload a previous upgrade that worked and put things back to normal? If it was the upgrade that remapped the HD stations to match the SD stations like HBO, Shotime, Starzs, HGTV etc. them who cares. Some of the HD stations don't show the same shows as the SD version anyway. HGTV is an example. If I pick channel 112 now I get the HD version which is not showing what I want. If I want the standard version now I have to change the channel again. This just doesn't make any sense.

The mapping is simple, go to the Local Channels screen and shut off the HD priority. You can either change it to sd priority or shut off the mapping entirely. Both will result in 112 being the sd channel. I have not seen the other problems you describe on my 622.

The OTA problems you describe have been discussed a lot in a couple of the threads here lately and I agree, DISH Should roll back to the previous firmware version becuase the current one is FUBAR for OTA reception. If I was a conspiracy buff I would think they were doing it deliberately to force subscribers to pay for the locals in HD because they weren't watchable OTA anymore.

IF I was a conspiracy buff.:D

The OTA problems you describe have been discussed a lot in a couple of the threads here lately and I agree, DISH Should roll back to the previous firmware version becuase the current one is FUBAR for OTA reception. If I was a conspiracy buff I would think they were doing it deliberately to force subscribers to pay for the locals in HD because they weren't watchable OTA anymore.

L404 is coming. It is expected to fix some OTA problems, but not all.

My 211 Does the same thing i will just be sittig there watching Tv and it will just reboot all on its own the funny part is it has no set pattern it just does it when it want's also the guide down loads a lot lately also

If I was a conspiracy buff I would think they were doing it deliberately to force subscribers to pay for the locals in HD because they weren't watchable OTA anymore.

I do pay for locals. But I also use OTA because Dish probably wont have my locals in HD for quite some time. If the 622 firmware is broken then I wont be happy. But since my TV has a tuner I wont be without my prime time shows.

And... while most conspiracies are bunk, they are still fun to read about.

Ever since the latest firmware on my 211s, two of my local OTA channels drop in and out randomly, even with a great signal. Monitoring the channel at the same time on a PCI OTA tuner in my computer, the PCI card has no problems during the timer periods the 211 has problems.

Unfortunately the two channels affected are both my local CBS stations (one from baltimore one from washington dc). March Madness was truely "madness", as well as the masters etc. They better fix this before football season.

Well if the next update don't fix the issue just have Dish send you replacement ones. Should only take 2-3 days to get your new ones.

Some software updates might effect certain models of 622 than others. So one update might cause a issue with a 622 the same update might not effect the other. This applies to any receiver due to some series of receivers could have issues with a certain updates. While other series of the same model of receiver might not. So for example you can have 3 622's they get the new update tonight only 1 works afterwords the other 2 start having issue or maybe they all work fine. So folks can see if they have a update that address the issue with certain series of receivers.

Or have Dish send you another one see what happens with the same update. Most of the time not always you will not have the same issue due to most cases. I would not think you would get the same series of 622 or 211 sent to you. Overall its just something always to try that is getting a replacement sent to you if your having reboots all the time. Its just up to the person if they want to wait on a update or try another receiver.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Mine will lose the OTA signals, but everything else works fine. I also seem to have scheduling conflicts now... I can be recording something, and go into the guide, and set it to record something later on, and it was say there is a conflict, and I must stop the other recording first... Reboot fixes the OTA issue, but not the recording issue. If I go to the 2nd TV and clear out the timer and readd it, it works fine and I dont get an error message....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)