What have you recorded and protected in your DVR?

alexgmny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
NYC
I have recorded and protected all 6 movies of star wars in HD and all the new episodes of Planet Earth of Discovery Theater HD. Does anybody know how long the recording can last when is protected? indefinitely?

To answer the question about what we have recorded and saved:

My kids playing in a dodgeball tournament reported on the 6 o'clock news. Saved for a couple of years now. That is on a tivo.

I have had a few things on the DVR since the first day I got it, it has survived every software upgrade.

Not true back when I had the 501 receiver... :(

difference is tivo and dish, one works one dont
i think youve already figured that out though

Stone, that is nonsense. I know that you have a beef with E*, but I had way more problems out of my Tivo than I have with either of my 942's or my 622's.

I've got an episode of "I want that" from HGTV where my college roommate was featured saved. We play it for him whenever he visits and make fun of him for it.

I have a couple of Bond movies in HD from the marathon last June. They are apparently still intact. I think they are as safe as any data stored on a HDD, meaning that in theory they could last indefinitely. But HDDs are subject to failures and/or data corruptions. Even if there are no problems, we're talking about magnetic poles aligned in media which degrade over time. Also - at any time E* could send a signal to wipe those files out, say in response to an absolute and final TiVo victory in the current lawsuit. Back-ups to alternate drives or media are in order, if/when we ever get the chance. When HD DVD recorders are available we have a chance...

It sounds like you've never owned a TiVo... :(
it looks like youve never read my sig!

Tivo allday anyday over any dish dvr for me at least

where are all the people that complain about lost recordings after software updates?

im sure by now this problem has affected the vip622 as i know it has affected many other dish dvrs as ive had my fair share of dish dvrs all but 921 and ive seen that problem on all my dvrs at one time or another

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)