What HDMI version does the 942 use?

spudmancbr954rr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I am currently shopping for a new A/V receiver that features HDMI switching. I am very interested in the Pioneer VSX-72TXV. I noticed the following disclaimer on Pioneer's site though, regarding this receiver:
*HDMI connection may not allow transmission of copyright material depending on the capability of the signal source. Click here for alternative connection options.

After speaking with a support technician from Pioneer, he said that the equipment connected to the receiver must be "HDCP compliant", and that the HDMI connection of any equipment connected to the receiver must be "HDMI version 1.1"
Can anyone tell me which version of HDMI interface the DISH 942 uses, and whether or not it is HDCP (high definition copyright protection) compliant? I'd hate to lay out the $$ for this new Pioneer unit and have trouble running the 942's signal through it.
Thanks!

I would like to know the same, I hope the HDMI output of the 942 passes Dolby Digital

the 942 does NOT use HDCP, that doesn't matter though, devices that are HDCP accept devices that are NOT just fine

the problem is that if the HDMI is not 1.1, I am fairly certain it will be, all we need is confirmation from someone that they are getting Dolby Digital from the HDMI port??

-Gary

All the HDMI info is here:

Well, I found a source for all the HDMI questions I had, but I still do not know if the DISH DVR942 uses the 1.1 spec.
In any event, here's the link to all you need to know about HDMI:

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp

If anyone finds out what spec the 942 uses, please let me know.
Thanks!

Hmmm....

But what then, do you make of this (from www.hdmi.org)?:

Does HDMI support Dolby 5.1 audio and high-resolution audio formats? Yes. From the start, HDMI was defined to carry 8-channels, of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio, which exceeds all current consumer media formats. In addition, HDMI can carry any flavor of compressed audio format such as Dolby or DTS. (Such compressed formats are the only multi-channel or high-resolution audio formats that can be carried across the older S/PDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.) The fact that the vast majority of HDMI products shipped are two-channel TVs that don’t support more than two-channel audio doesn’t make this any less the case. Most existing HDMI sources can output any compressed stream, and the newer sources can output uncompressed 6-channel, 96kHz audio from a DVD-Audio disk. There are several A/V receivers on the market that can accept and process the 6- or 8-channel audio from HDMI and more are expected to be available shortly.

Could it be that the DD 5.1 signal is coming out of the 942, but you just need one of the newer HDMI switching receivers to decode it? If not, I guess it's no big deal, as there is a digital audio output on the 942 anyway, but the folks who designed the HDMI spec sure make it sound like the audio is carried on that cable. I guess what I'm saying is...if you're watching a program that says "Presented in Dolby Digital" on your DISH 942, wouldn't that audio signal be output from the HDMI out jack on the 942? Just a thought...

goaliebob99 said:
I do know that the 942 does not pass dd through hdmi.

sum bitch:( are you 100% sure of this Goalie ?? :mad:

someone would have had to test the 942 into a receiver or pre-amp with HDMI to be sure

Edit: Did some searches and it seems Goalie is pretty much on the money, that shoots down me wanting to input only one HDMI cable from the 942 into the New Iscan VP30 scaler :mad:

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
sum bitch:( are you 100% sure of this Goalie ?? :mad:
someone would have had to test the 942 into a receiver or pre-amp with HDMI to be sure
Edit: Did some searches and it seems Goalie is pretty much on the money, that shoots down me wanting to input only one HDMI cable from the 942 into the New Iscan VP30 scaler :mad:
-Gary
I just got a 942 in October and attempted to pass the HDMI out into my JVC amp with HDMI.....No dice.

You only get 2.1 and have to use toslink if you want full audio capability.

HDMI and DVI connections are the biggest jumbled up joke of a mess I have ever seen, no way folks that aren't complete geeks can keep up with it

HDMI is supposed to be HDTV video and High Resolution audio in one pipe :mad:, hardly any devices use the capability and if one does the other won't accecpt because of HDCP or other factors :( :mad:

WTF Gives ?? !!, at what point do people become frustrated ??

what's the chances of us getting Dish to implement Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI ??

-Gary

Why did they go with HDMI on the 942 if they aren't going to use it for DD? Why not just stay with DVI? There are alot more DVI display's out there than there is HDMI at this point.

Still don't know, and don't know why Dish seems to be going out of their way to not call it HDMI even though that's the kind of cable it requires.
Gary Murrell said:
what's the chances of us getting Dish to implement Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI ??
According to the TechPortal, the 942 has DD output from the "optical digital and HDTV Digital Audio/Video output." DD on the 211/411 is over optical only. I know better than to claim any feature chart on the Dish site is correct (the first one said the 4000 doesn't have an EPG(!), a current one says the 721 has 65 event timers) but there it is. We know from hdmi.org as quoted in post #6 that, contrary to what some have said, a newer version of HDMI is not needed to pass DD. But if Dish is avoiding use of the name, they may not be following the standard. Could that be a result of a hardware design, or did they intentionally design the software that way? If the latter, don't they realize they're defeating the main benefit of having a single cable connection?

I can't even get a freakin picture out of the HDMI cable, let alone sound :(

I'm sure it's my TVs fault, but it sure seems like the 942. Picture starts fine, but disappears when you switch from SD to HD or vice-versa.

You're right BobaBird...it's quite a mystery. I guess I'll just go ahead and purchase a new receiver with HDMI switching capability and hope for the best. As I said earlier, even if the audio is not carried on the 942's HDMI output, there's always the Toslink jack. You spoke of the Tech Portal...with a few more clicks, you'll find a picture of an HDMI cable, along with the following text:

Similar to DVI (but using much smaller connectors), the multi-pin HDTV Digital Audio/Video interface transfers uncompressed digital video with HDCP copy protection and multichannel audio. Using an adapter, HDTV Digital Audio/Video is backward-compatible with most current DVI connections. This connection transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.

Thursday December 22 2005 ©2005, EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. All rights reserved.

So....DISH people....is it an HDMI jack or isn't it???

Hey M Sparks....I see you can't get a picture from the HDMI output.
I couldn't help but notice your signature line; do you think maybe your lack of video might be Bush's fault? Everything else seems to be.
:)

Of course it is Bush's fault, just like HD-Lite :rolleyes:
I swear, some people...:rolleyes:

Mods I do not think it is fair for somone to have a political signature like that, just my opinion

-Gary

Last edited:
Careful Gary....he'll accuse you of censorship (or infringing on one of his constitutional rights, like we conservatives are prone to do)....;)

Seriously M Sparks, regarding your lack of video from the 942's HDMI connection...
have you tried following the procedure on the bottom of page 115 in the DISH 942 User's Guide? It's worth a shot.